Chapter thirty eight

Start from the beginning

"Did you find anything?" Amirah asked cautiously, a bit worried that the magician was being so quiet. She cast a glance at Sinbad, who stood near the doorway, the king simply shrugging in response. "Yamraiha?"

"I'm sorry, it's just strange. There are zero signs of the spell that was cast on you. It vanished. There's no traces of anything left, not of my treatments, nor the spell Zaahira cast, nor the dark magic."

"Nothing? At all?" Amirah shook her head in confusion. "How?"

"Is she alright, then?" Sinbad asked.

Yamraiha looked over to the king, "Yes, I believe so. Whoever cast the spell removed its effects entirely."

"Well, that's great!" Amirah tried to be enthusiastic, though she was unsure. "...Right?"

"It's good, but I can't help but worry that the original caster still has ill intentions," Yamraiha spoke.

Sinbad folded his arms, one hand resting on his chin thoughtfully, "It wouldn't be the first time they've suddenly changed their methods..."

Yamraiha nodded, "Well at least we know a bit more about who the culprit is now."

"We do?" Amirah asked.

"Yes. The caster was female, and used dark magic similar to what we've seen Al-Thaman use. It doesn't narrow our options down much, but it's a very good start," Yamraiha explained.

Amirah nodded somewhat absently. She had no idea who 'Al-Thamen' were, but it seemed the name was being thrown around quite a bit recently. Though she wanted to ask who they were, her worry for Zaahira took over, and instead she asked, "What about Zaahira? Could she be alright as well?"

"I'll have to check up on her to find out but-"

"I'd say she's perfectly fine!" The door burst open, causing the trio to jump. In skipped Zaahira, followed by Ja'far who tried in vain to quiet the blonde and make her relax. Cheekily, Zaahira stood in the middle of Yamraiha's office, hands on her hips and a wide grin on her face directed at Amirah, who instantly stood and ran over to her.

"You're awake! Oh, I'm so happy you're alright!" Amirah pulled Zaahira into a hug. After a long moment Amirah pulled away slightly, "Wait, should you be up and moving like this?"

Zaahira shrugged, "Probably not."

Ja'far walked to stand beside the blonde, Sharrkan standing in the doorway, "No, you shouldn't be. But if we're here you might as well let Yamraiha look you over."

~

"It's amazing! Both of you are completely healed!"

Amirah thought over Yamraiha's words as she made her way through the palace. Her pace was slow, but slowly she was getting the hang of keeping herself steady again. Yamraiha had told her and Zaahira to get more rest and to be sure to go see her immediately if anything strange were to occur. There was still the potential that the dark magician would cast something else upon them without warning.

Everyone was on edge now. Guards were everywhere, and the generals were constantly on duty. They tried to keep it subtle to spare the citizens of Sindria from worrying about the country's safety from mysterious attackers. Twice now the strange group had cut their plans off abruptly and abandon their sure-to-work plan for a new one. At this point, anything could happen, and there was no room for taking risks.

Amirah's pace slowed, her eyes landing on Alex and Cayden just down the hall from her on their way to their rooms. Alex spotted her as well, lighting up and running forward some, "Amirah! I wanted to talk to you!"

"I actually wanted to talk with you as well," Amirah met the prince halfway, stopping and folding her hands behind her back just few feet away from him.

"Oh? You go first, then."

"Alright...well I wanted to apologize for how Sinbad acted earlier, it was very rude of him to-"

Alex laughed lightly, "That? It's fine, really! I mean it is his country after all..."

"That doesn't mean he gets to act like a child," Amirah spoke. "But besides that... I also wanted to thank you for what you said before... I was really worried about Zaahira and your words were a great help. She even woke up, acting like it never even happened."

"That's great!" Alex grinned, genuinely happy for the princess. "But you don't have to thank me, I was only speaking my mind."

Amirah smiled lightly, "Still, thank you." She leaned forward, placing a gentle kiss on the prince's cheek in a way that reminded her of when Sharrkan was a kid. As she pulled back she noticed Alex had gone beet red, his entire body stiffening. Seeing him made her realize her actions and react similarly, sputtering, "I-I, uh, that was just- I didn't mean anything by that, just, uhm," Glancing around she caught sight of Cayden giving her a thumbs up over Alex's shoulder. Blushing even more, Amriah tore her eyes from the 'assistant', deciding to change the subject, "S-So...what was it you wanted to tell me?"

Alex's embarrassment faded as he remembered the news he'd wanted to share. "Ah...it doesn't matter..." He could still feel the warmth her lips had left on his skin, as well as the emotions that were carried with it. He was tempted to pull her in for a real kiss, but stopped himself. This is a job, not a vacation. "Uhm...I'll tell you another time, okay? I should get back to L-Cayden..."

Although confused, Amirah agreed, "Alright... Goodnight, then, Alex."

"Night..."

Just minutes after the royalties had parted ways, Amirah ran into yet another familiar face, this time being her younger brother, Sharrkan. She greeted him calmly, asking him what he was doing up still and if he had been waiting for her- as they were just outside the Purple Leo Tower.

"Yeah, I wanted to talk with you," Sharrkan replied, leaning against a nearby pillar.

"About what?"

"Lord Sinbad. And your betrothal."

Amirah instantly grew defencive, "...What about it?"

"Are you really going to leave in less than three days with that prince?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"You know why..." Amirah turned her head away from Sharrkan's accusing glare.

"Sure, I get it. Proving yourself strong and useful to King Armakan is your top priority," Sharrkan began to rant, calling her out on everything. "I understand he pretty much pushed you aside, but abandoning everything you have here just to prove him wrong isn't worth it. And besides, traveling to some country on the other side of the world is extremely risky after what just happened."

Amirah continued to avoid eye contact, speaking more so to the floor than her brother. "There's nothing that can be done about it now. I can't risk anything between Heliohapt and Askal if I were to refuse the marriage just days before the wedding. Sinbad and Zaahira have told me the same thing you have several times already, but I'm not backing out now. I can't."

"Sure you can! You've got the entire Alliance behind you!" Sharrkan pressed, standing straight and taking a step towards Amirah. "You're just using that as an excuse because you believe you have something to prove to King Armakan, but you don't. It doesn't matter what he thinks or how strong you are, everyone here in Sindria loves you just the way you are. Don't you get that?"

Shifting uncomfortably, Amirah searched for a reply. She really didn't have one. "I'm...sorry, Sharr... I have to go." She heard Sharrkan sigh, mumbling something to himself and crossing his arms. Slowly she raised her eyes to his, "You'll come, won't you? To the wedding, I mean..."

Another sigh, lighter this time, followed by a soft smile, "Of course."

There were two days left, and one last person who refused to let Amirah leave Sindria. One last person who refused to let Amirah leave him.

~

Author's Note-

Hey, hey, hey~! How's it going? you guys have Pokemon Go yet? xD

(bonus points if you know the character I intimidated in my greeting :3)