Chapter thirty four

Chapter thirty four

"Zaahira? Did you manage to find those missing documents yet?" Ja'far entered his office, arms overflowing with scrolls. He looked around the small room for the blonde magician he'd seen just minutes before. "Zaahira?" Ja'far repeated, sighing when no response came. He walked over to his desk and stacked the scrolls he was carrying neatly on it, then turned to the hallway of archives to his left. He hoped Zaahira was hiding in there somewhere and hadn't actually ditched him to mess around with Amirah and Prince Alexandros at the docks like the royalties had planned. "Zaahira, you promised to help me with all this work, remember?" Ja'far called, growing impatient as his search came up empty.

Just as Ja'far turned to exit the archives, Zaahira jumped out at him, roaring loudly and waving her arms about.

Ja'far's eyes widened and he jumped back somewhat. It took a moment for him to process the situation, but when he did, he simply frowned, "This is no time for games, Zaahira."

"I totally scared you, though!" Zaahira giggled, folding her hands behind her back and grinning at the general.

"No you didn't," Ja'far defended himself, pouting slightly.

"Yes I did," Zaahira insisted, then changed the subject, "But look at this. I was looking around for something that might help in finding the people who kidnapped Princess Amirah and put that spell on her and I found this." She handed Ja'far a word, rolled up, scroll she'd hid behind her back.

Ja'far looked the scroll over before opening it. After glancing over its contents he said, "This shouldn't be here... It's one of Yamraiha's prototypes."

"It looks like a tracking spell of sorts, doesn't it?"

"I'm not the one to ask about magic, but I believe so..." Ja'far rolled the scroll back up then handed it to Zaahira. "You should return it to Yamraiha and ask her. Don't try casting it on your own, alright? You could get yourself hurt."

"Alright, I'll go find her then!" Zaahira could feel the excitement bubbling up inside of her. As she skipped from Ja'far's office she came to a sudden stop, turning around to yell back to him, "Oh, Ja'far! About the missing documents you wanted, I only found one, it's on your desk!"

"Thank you, Zaahira!" Ja'far called back. "Keep an eye out for the others for me, will you?"

"I will!"

~

Amirah watched Alex and 'Cayden' with curiosity as the pair fished around in a large trunk on the bottom level of the ship they'd arrived on now just over a week earlier. The chest was huge, and full of items Amirah had no idea how to use. She tried to peer over the male's shoulders, but objects flying by as the pair recklessly sifted through the trunk caused her to fear for her head's safety. "Uhm...what are you looking for, exactly?"

"A certain magic tool," Leonidas replied, not looking back at her. "It lets you breathe underwater."

"I'm sure there's something like that in Sindria..."

"Probably, but this'll be the first time I'll have something to show you instead of the other way around!" Alex chirped. "Ah-ha! I found it!" He stood and raised two small pieces of metal. They were shaped like a sort of crescent moon with a oval shaped piece on it.

"I got the goggles!" Leonidas proclaimed, standing to show two clear masks that would cover the wearer's eyes and nose.

Amirah took one of the mouthpieces from Alex's outstretched hand, looking it over. "So... how does this work?"

"You put it in your mouth like this," Alex used the second magic tool to demonstrate, placing the crescent-shaped side in his mouth and holding it in place with his teeth as he explained further, "and when you're underwater you just breathe through your mouth and this will filter the air out of the water so you can breathe."

Amirah turned the magic tool over in her hands, "Interesting. And the masks are so you can see underwater, I assume?"

"You're a rather quick learner, Princess," Leonidas found himself letting a remark slip, trying to cover it up with a smile.

Amirah raised an eyebrow to him, giving him a half-smile, "I'll take that as a compliment."

"So, you want to go diving, Amirah?" Alex asked, unable to keep the excitement from his tone.

"I suppose so," Amirah agreed. "But I don't have anything else to wear."

"I'm sure one of our-ah-Alex's older sister's swimsuits will fit you," Leonidas stumbled over his words. Guess I can't blame Alex for messing up, now can I? While he thought, Alex turned to the trunk again, and after a moment of searching he came up with two pairs of swim trunks, one which he tossed to Leonidas. Leonidas tossed them back, "I don't need one. I'll stay on the shore in case anything goes wrong, alright?"

"Alright, thanks Cayden," Alex placed the shorts back and shuffled more items around in search of one of his sister's swimsuits. "Ah, here we go," He smiled as he found a bright pink bikini with a ruffle-covered top and a matching skirt. Alex offered it to Amirah, sheepishly saying, "Sorry. She's a big fan of the color pink."

Amirah chuckled, "It's fine. It'll work."

~

Yamraiha looked over the old scroll Zaahira had brought her, carefully reading what she had wrote several months before. "Hmm... Zaahira, I'm not sure this spell is completely stable yet. It might have negative effects if we try to cast it now."

"Can't you do something to stabilize it?"

Yamraiha hesitated for a moment, "I could, but I don't want to end up hurting Princess Amirah if something goes wrong. Especially if the spell her captors placed on her regains its strength."

Zaahira sighed, her shoulders slumping. "I was hoping we'd be able to figure out who cast the spell on her using this..."

"We can figure out a safer way to," Yamraiha tried to assure her, but it wasn't working.

"She's been really distant from everyone since Mahrajan..." Zaahira mumbled loud enough for Yamraiha to hear. "There isn't enough time for you and I to figure out another way now; we're leaving in under a week."

Yamraiha sighed heavily, "I know, but maybe Princess Amirah doesn't want to find them. She may just want to move on and try to forget what happened."

Zaahira shook her head, "No. She's just hung up on the arranged marriage. With Prince Alex and King Sinbad and everything else... She must be overwhelmed."

"It's a good thing she has you to help her then, right?" Yamraiha offered the blonde a soft smile.

Zaahira weakly returned the expression, "Yeah, you're right." She thought everything over for a moment, then asked, "Do you mind if I study the scroll a bit more? I'd like to learn how to create my own intricate spells one day too."

"Of course, go ahead!"

Taking the scroll, Zaahira stood and said, "Thank you, Yam! I'll be sure to bring it back tomorrow."

~

Author's Note-

Do you guys like the fact that this is more Zaahira-centered? Parts of the next chapter will be too. I would've just continued this but I didn't want it to get too long lmao.

Anyone wanna see more Ja'far x Zaahira before she and Amirah leave Sindria by the way? Or anything, really. Amirah and Sharrkan stuff, something specific with Alex and Amirah (or Sin drama) I'm up for ideas but the clock is slowly ticking~ hehehe~