w h o l e ~ e x p l a n a t i o n

"How did your dad die? And why do you blame yourself, Kim?" I asked her. Sh cleared her throat and looked up into the starry night, leaning her head on my shoulder. Finally, she spoke.

"June 28th, the worst day of my life. Me and my dad were gonna go shopping for the new school year. We visited all my favorite stores: Sephora, Pink, and Macy's. We were inside Macy's. I had threw a pile of clothes in my dad's hands, while I was looking around, so I wouldn't have to hold anything... All of a sudden, I heard a big bang--"

Kim took a sharp income of breath, and I felt her shivering. I brought Kim into a hug, and she cuddled in my jacket. 

"I heard a big bang, and then all these men dressed in black appeared out of nowhere. I screamed, starting to run out of the store. But my dad--my dad, he......he fell. Because of all the clothes he was carrying. And I didn't look back. I just kept running, thinking my dad was behind me. I yelled, 'Police, Police!' and they came. Finally, I turned around. I didn't see my dad. Not at all. There was just a big space behind me where he should've been. After the shooting, I went back to Macy's and saw my dad. But there wasn't a smile on my face, Zander. He was dead. And it was all my fault."

"Kim. Kim, look at me!" I held her by the shoulders, and stared hard into her eyes. I think I was crying, but so was she. "It wasn't your fault. You can't keep saying that. You did the right thing, alright? You went for the police, and if you didn't, and you stayed with your dad, you and all the people in the store would be dead. So no, it wasn't your fault. Your dad might've died, but many people lived. And so did you."

Kim looked at me and gave me a wobbly smile, saying three simple words that meant a lot, "I love you."

"I love you too. And I'll never, ever leave your side."

The End.