John (One Shot)

John (ONE SHOT)

I came out from the movie theatre earlier than expected. Work was exhausting as usual. But then again, when was it ever easy? Looking up after fixing my cardigan, I quickly realized that my car was getting towed. I wanted to scream and run after it but because it was pouring rain, it wouldn't have made a difference. 

My house wasn't that far away so I decided to walk. Whilst walking, I prayed that the rain would eventually stop because even with my hat on, I still ended up soaking wet. And of course, with my luck, the rain poured even harder moments later. 

Great. Just Great.

After getting lost in thought about how unfortunate I was and finally getting back to reality, I heard footsteps behind me. When I looked back, I saw a silhouette of a man.

Was he following me the entire time? 

Shit.

Panic came over me so I doubled my pace and walked even faster. He was still behind me with his long strides. When I realized that he was actually following me, I started to run like my life depended on it because in my head, after watching all those documentaries about girls getting murdered or raped in alleyways, I really thought I was in danger. 

And again, with my luck, I tripped. 

On what exactly? I don't even know at this point.

I turned to see the guy getting closer. Oh my god! This is it, i'm screwed! "Please don't hurt me," I begged.

"I'm not going to hurt you," his calm, assuring voice replied.

"Then why the hell have you been following me?" 

"Well, I was actually just going to offer you my jacket and share this umbrella. And if you would allow me, i'd like to walk with you since it's not safe out here." 

Oh.

"Is that okay with you?" he asked with a smile. The light hit his face just in time for me to see his good looking features, brown hair, green eyes, oh, and that breathtaking smile.

I'm not going to say no to that, I thought.

"Well, if you're not a serial killer or a rapist then okay." I shrugged, half joking. He chuckled at my bluntness.

We walked to the direction of my house. As we were walking, we started to talk and got to know more of each other. I learned that his name was John. He was the same age as me, 22, and that his house was just around the block next to the movie theatre when he saw me walking alone.

We arrived minutes after. "Here's your jacket. Thanks for walking me home, John."

"Keep the jacket. You can return that to me the next time we meet." 

We exchanged numbers and with that, he left.

***

John and I texted constantly. Once in a while, we'd see each other in a nearby coffee shop and hang out. We did that for a couple of months and soon hit it off.

We were now dating and I couldn't be happier.

***

Two whole years with John and I just kept on falling in love with him each day.

But then again, relationships weren't that perfect. There will always be that certain stage where complications and misunderstandings arise. And this month, John and I were one of those couples in that stage.