Ironic Luck

Cris was just ten when he first used his talent.

He was walking from school when he passed by a field. He remembered it being an abandoned property, though it was really wide and not many people like to even go there. But there was this little girl just sitting there, fingering a four leafed clover. the girl noticed him and asked,"Do you want it?" while offering the clover.

"No thanks," Cris declined politely. he figured though she was little, she was still a stranger.

But the girl stood up and gave Cris the clover anyway, " take it," she said and walked away, in the direction of Cris' school.

Cris stared after her, but after a while he just shrugged and ran home. When he entered his house, he  was met by his mom, Stella Blue. She was reading a book on the couch and she welcomed Cris with a smile. She said" Do you want to know the story?"

Cris smiled and nodded. He loved books, but he had trouble reading. His mind always seemed to jumble up the lines and letters and they became very wierd. So he just let his mother read to him. He dropped the clover on the coffee table, beside his father's ashtray and sat on the couch beside his mother.

Just as mother and son started the story, Cris' dad, David Blue, peeked in from the kitchen." Dinner's ready" he called, waving at them with a ladle. Cris ran to his father and hugged him before running into the kitchen and settling in a chair. He waited patiently for his parents to follow, watching them cuddle and smiling knowing it was a sign of love.

Later that night, Cris woke up in a cloud of smoke. His father was carrying him out of their house, and for a moment he was confused. Then he realized the house was burning. He stared at his father in fright, and saw in his eyes a strange determination that Cris couldn't place.

"Cris, stay here. I'll go get your mom," He said to Cris, who was just standing there in his pajamas, in front of their burning house. Cris watched as his dad ran inside the house, and he couldnt help feeling as if this was the last time he'll ever see him.

As Cris stood there, he noticed that noone was trying to help take the fire out. They were just watching. Some tried to get near but it was as if some invisible force was keeping them from getting within 2 meters near the house. Then Cris noticed the girl from the field, right beside him.

"Sorry this had to happen," she said while watching the fire intently, her face blank", your mom and dad were good people."

"but they're not dead yet!" Cris protested, even though inside him his thoughts were saying maybe  the girl was right. But he kept repeating "They're not dead yet!" until he sat up in bed in cold sweat....