22- The Demise Of Violet

The door opened, and we got off the boat, heading inside. The room was a dark room, which was dimly lit, with lots of flashing lights, and machines, making strange noises, everywhere.

'Now, this is the most important room in the entire factory. Now, everyone, enjoy yourselves, but just don't... Touch anything. Okay? Go on. Go on, scoot.' Wonka said. Mike grabbed my hand, taking me over to a tank, with a windows on it. We both peeked through, our heads colliding, softly as we did so. His hair was soft.I blushed a bit. Why was I blushing? I honestly don't know.

A Oompa Loompa was swimming in the tank, picking up small balls, of all different colours up.

'Hey, Mr Wonka. What's this?' Violet asked behind us.

'Oh, let me show you,' Wonka said, and the Oompa Loompa swam to the surface, handing him one of the small balls 'Thank you. These are Everlasting Gobstoppers. They're for children who are given very little allowance money. You can suck on it all year, and it'll never get any smaller. Isn't that neat?'

'It's like gum.' Violet said.

'No. Gum is for chewing. And if you tried chewing one of these Gobstoppers, you'd break all your little teeth off. They sure do taste terrific.' Willy Wonka said. He then lead us over to another machine, which he collected a small lolly of some sort from.

'And this is hair toffee. You suck down one of these little boogers, and in exactly half an hour, a brand new crop of hair will start growing out
all over the top of your little noggin. And a moustache. And a beard.' Willy Wonka said.

'Who wants a beard?' Mike asked.

'Well... Beatniks, for one. Folk singers and motorbike riders. You know, all those hip, jazzy, super-cool, neat, keen and groovy cats. It's in the fridge, daddy-o,' Wonka said, trying to imitate something 'It's in the fridge, daddy-o. Are you hep to the jive? Can you dig what I'm laying down? I knew that you could. Slide me some skin, soul brother.'

He put his hand out in front of Mike's face. Mike just stared at his hand. Wonka awkwardly pulled his hand away.

'Unfortunately, the mixture isn't quite right yet. Because an Oompa-Loompa tried some yesterday, and, well, he...' Mr Wonka stopped, when a small figure came up to us. The figure was covered in brown hair, which reached the ground.

'Oh.' I said, quietly.

'How are you today? You look great.' Wonka said.

We started to walk over to another machine, and Wonka said 'Watch this.'

He pushed a button on the machine, and it started to work, steam coming out of it. Suddenly, a long bit of metal folded outwards, and a shorter piece of metal came out of that. Then, a even shorter bit of metal came out of that, and this continued, until the metal was about as long as a pencil, and was nearly touching Violet. Then, a small strip of gum slid out of the last bit of metal.

'You mean that's it?!' Mike said.

'Do you even know what "it" is?' Willy Wonka asked.

'It's gum.' Violet said.

'Yeah. It's a stick of the most amazing and sensational gum in the whole universe. Know why? Know why?!' Wonka raised his voice 'Cause this gum is a full three-course dinner all by itself.'

He chuckled a bit, and Veruca's father asked 'Why would anyone want that?'

Mr Wonka took out his cards again, reading off them 'It will be the end of all kitchens and all cooking. Just a little strip of Wonka's magic chewing gum and that is all you will ever need at breakfast, lunch and dinner. This piece of gum happens to be tomato soup, roast beef and blueberry pie.'