19- The Candy Room

As we headed through the burning remains of the puppet show, heading into the factory, Augustus asked 'Don't you want to know our names?'

'Can't imagine how it would matter.' Willy Wonka said. We reached a long red corridor, that seemed to go on forever.

'Come quickly. For too much to see. Just drop your coats anywhere.' Wonka said.

'Mr Wonka? Sure is toasty in here.' Mr Teavee said.

Willy Wonka smiled, slyly 'What? Oh, yeah. I have to keep it warm in here, because my workers are used to an extremely hot climate. They just can't stand the cold.'

'Who are the workers?' Charlie asked in a quiet voice.

'All in good time. Now...' Mr Wonka started to walk up the corridor. We slowly started to follow him. As we walked, I noticed Violet hugged him.

'Mr Wonka, I'm Violet Beauregarde.' Violet said, smiling up at him.

'Oh,' He said in a soft voice 'I don't care.'

Violet looked hurt for a second, but she quickly covered it up, saying 'Well, you should care. Because I'm the girl that's gonna win the special prize at the end.'

'Well, you do seem confident, and confidence is key.' Wonka nodded. Violet grinned, looking up at her mother, who gave her a proud smile.

Wonka let out a startled noise, as Veruca then stood in front of him, curtseying, a big smile, that could have been fake, on her face 'I'm Veruca Salt. It's very nice to meet you, sir.'

'I always thought that a veruca was a type of wart you got on the bottom of your foot. Ha!' Willy Wonka said. Veruca's smile faded.

Augustus then stood in front of Wonka, blocking Veruca.

'I'm Augustus Gloop. I love your chocolate.' He said, his mouth filled with chocolate. He had a strong German accent.

'I can see that. So do I. I never expected to have so much in common.' Willy Wonka gave a little chuckle. Everything went silent, as if Wonka was waiting for someone else to introduce them self. In the end, he turned to Mike, Charlie and I.

'You... You're Mike Teavee. You're the little devil who cracked the system.' Wonka said. Mike said nothing.

'And you, you're Bailee Baker. The little homeless orphan.' Willy Wonka's mouth lifted into a smile. It could have been sympathetic, but I couldn't really tell. He was very mysterious. I sighed. I hated when people, who hardly knew me, judged me.

'I'm not homeless.' I lied, just wanting to make a good impression.

'Oh really? Well, I got the "little" part, right?' Wonka chuckled, and then he turned to Charlie 'And you, well, you're just lucky to be here, aren't you? And the rest of you must be their...'

'Parents.' Veruca's father said.

'Yeah. Mum's and Dad's. Dad? Papa?' Willy Wonka stared into midair, going silent 'Okay then. Let's move along.'

As we started to walk again, the corridor got smaller, and smaller, forcing us to walk in pairs. I ended up beside Mike, with Violet, and Veruca in front us.

'Let's be friends.' I heard Veruca say to Violet.

'Best friends.' Corrected Violet. They linked arms, and Veruca looked back at me, flashing me a cocky smirk. She obviously thought she was too good for me. I sighed. I was used to it, anyway, as hardly anyone ever liked me. And to be honest, Violet and Veruca's friendship looked more like an alliance.

I then heard Augustus talking to Charlie behind me 'Would you like some chocolate?'

I turned my head to one side, watching the scene out of the corner of my eye.