11- Veruca Salt

I decided I'd use my remaining money to buy a chocolate bar at the post office, where the kind man worked. Maybe, I had a chance. A very small chance.

I opened the door 'Sir, could I please buy a chocolate bar?'

'Of course. Hoping for a golden ticket?'

'Mm.' I nodded.

'Well, they've just found the second one. Watch.' He pointed to a TV in the store.

'Veruca. Can you spell that for us?' A interviewer on television said. A girl, with curly brown hair, and very rich clothing, stood in a marvelous hall, with her parents. They all seemed rather posh.

'V-E-R-U-C-A. Veruca Salt.' She beamed. I didn't see the name of the location, but I guessed she was British, because of her accent.

'Soon as my little Veruca told me she had to have one of these golden tickets, I started buying up all the Wonka bars I could lay my hands on.
Thousands of them. Hundreds of thousands. I'm in the nut business, you see. So I say to my workers, "Morning, ladies. From now on you can stop
shelling peanuts and start shelling the wrappers off these chocolate bars instead.". Three days went by and we had no luck. Oh, it was terrible.
My little Veruca got more and more upset each day.' Her father said. I bit my lip. That wasn't really fair. The girl hadn't even tried to get one.

'Well, gentlemen, I just hated to see my little girl feeling unhappy like that. I vowed I would keep up the search until I could give her what
she wanted. And finally, I found her a ticket.' The father said.

The shopkeeper switched off the TV 'Parents shouldn't spoil their kids like that. No good comes of it.'

I nodded, as he passed me my chocolate bar. I opened the tiniest bit.

No golden ticket.

'Well, better luck next time.'

'Thank you. I must go home. Bye!' I said, upset. Who was I kidding? I had no chance. I was just another poor kid who wanted a golden ticket.