12 ━ SUSPICION

DEMONS.
( chapter twelve. )

Edited 07/09/2016 @12:21 PMEdited 11/21/2017 @11:57 PM

Edited 11/21/2017 @11:57 PM

  PIERCE ACKNOWLEDGED THEM with a nod. "Captain, Andrea. Please, sit," he gestured to a pair of couches in the centre of the room. Andy offered a polite smile, opting to stand as Steve sat down.

  She was aware that it was protective of her, but it wasn't as if she could entirely help it. Relaxing in the presence of this man felt impossible. She was on edge and her body couldn't shake the unease. Andy assumed that it had something to do with Fury's warning.

  Still, there was something about this figure that felt off— and her vulnerability with Steve was best without an open display. So was her distrust.

Keeping that in mind, Andrea sat. "Please, call me Andy," she offered. "All my friends do." She kept her expression placated as she spoke. He couldn't be allowed to see how much he intimidated her.

  Instead, Andy let her guard down, relaxing back into her seat. She watched as Pierce gave her a kind smile. He seemed unable to look past her guise, but his eyes remained distant. It was clear that his focus wasn't on her.

  "It's an honour," Steve spoke, ever the gentleman as he shook Pierce's hand.

"Please, the honour is mine," Pierce replied, taking a seat across from the pair. Andy glanced down at the coffee table, drawn to the singular photo that lay on it.

The sight of a younger Nick Fury made her breath hitch. Unable to help herself, Andrea reached out to pick up the photograph. It was of both Alexander and Nick. It must've meant something to Pierce. After all, he had known Fury longer than she had.

  Andrea smiled sadly at the picture. As Pierce talked about the photo, she found herself only half-listening. She was too exhausted by the events of the past twenty-four hours to listen to stories she'd heard before.

All Andrea wanted was to be back in the comfort of her home. At least then she could grieve over what she'd lost. The faster she could regain her strength, the quicker she could complete the task Fury had entrusted them with.

Andy frowned and turned her gaze to the window, allowing herself a momentary reprieve within her thoughts. If only she had more time. Where were they meant to begin with this invisible threat?

  "He saved the lives of many political officers, including my daughter."

  Andy found herself brought back to the present. She gave a soft smile as the council secretary glanced at her. The conversation was a good memory.