iv. THE BEFORE

DEMONS.
( the before. )

❛ even in the darkest night, i will come back to you

i will come back to you. ❜

IMPORTANT NOTE: THIS BACKSTORY IS NOT IMPORTANT TO KNOW PRIOR TO READING! IT DOES CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR THE STORY, SO IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE WITHOUT READING, FEEL FREE. HOWEVER, PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT APPRECIATE COMMENTS REGARDING ANDREA'S POWERS LIKE, "Why doesn't she just teleport?" THE REASON HAS AND WILL BE EXPLAINED. THANK YOU. SIMPLY KNOW AND UNDERSTAND THAT ANDREA WENT THROUGH, AND CONTINUES TO GO THROUGH, STRESSFUL AND TOUGH SITUATIONS. THESE SAID SITUATIONS SHAPE AND CHANGE HER DRASTICALLY.

THIS IS A LOOK INTO THE PAST LIFE OF ANDREA CLAIRE JONES.

Friends were few and far between for Andrea, whose attitude isolated her from many. But, in the first grade, Bucky and Steve befriended the brunette after she jumped in to defend the Rogers boy from a fight. From then on, the three were inseparable— and while she may not have had many friends, Andrea was perfectly content with the two she'd already made. 

But, as they grew older, Bucky and Andrea's feelings for one another grew into something more than just platonic love. Everyone had seen it coming, so no one was surprised when they got together. However, when Bucky left to go to war and Steve enlisted and joined a Super Soldier program, Andrea was left behind. She had enlisted as a nurse at first, but soon found that her skills were needed elsewhere.

Andrea and Peggy Carter had only been friends for a short while when Peggy offered the Jones girl a position as one of the nurses overseeing the applicants of the Super Soldier program. The Carter woman saw potential in Andrea that suited the job, and she didn't hesitate in agreeing. It allowed Andy to stay with Steve, while also giving her the opportunity to learn things she could have never discovered before.

But, when Andrea lost both Steve and Bucky, there was no way for her to cope. Not long after S.H.I.E.L.D was founded, the loss of her friends took a toll on the Jones woman's mental stability. She soon convinced herself that somehow her best friends weren't dead─ that they hadn't left her behind again.

So, Andrea searched for them.

  She needed to be sure that they were really gone and that if they were dead, then at the very least their bodies could return home. No one tried to stop her. It would be a useless effort. Andrea couldn't be convinced otherwise, and she'd always been stubborn.

The Jones woman first began her search with Bucky. But, not long after, the remnants of HYDRA learned of her efforts and she was captured by the organization. From that moment on, her life became a multitude of hells. HYDRA forced the Jones girl to undergo numerous experimentations; injecting serums into her bloodstream and 'gifting' her capabilities beyond anyone's belief.

She was to become one of their most powerful weapons.

The organization then rid Andrea of her memories. They didn't just strip the Jones woman of her beliefs, but her morals and humanity as well. They turned the girl into a machine and twisted her into something that was barely even human. When her services weren't needed, Andrea would be put into cryo-freeze; where she would not age beyond her years.

However, after a mission involving the casualties of many, it would happen that someone would forget to slate her memories clean before placing her into a cryogenic state. Around this time, questions had already begun surfacing; inklings of doubt forming in the back of her mind. If what they were doing was right, and if this organization really was for the betterment of the world, then why was the work so dirty?

When she began to recover her memories, it only proved that this wasn't who she was meant to be. The next time Andrea was brought out, she destroyed everything. Nothing could stop her or the rage that fuelled her. All her years of pain and pent up anger took on physical form, pushing Andy to destroy the place that had so cruelly crafted her.

And she escaped unscathed. 

Of course, at the time, Andrea had never thought to consider the possibility of more HYDRA bases being scattered across the world. All she knew was that she was done being their puppet. It wouldn't be long after this incident either that Andrea's mind decided it couldn't handle the trauma she went through (nor the new age Andy had found herself in.)

The Jones woman lost herself, including all the best and worst parts. The memories of her past were subconsciously locked away in the safety of her mind. Soon after, S.H.I.E.L.D. would happen to find Andrea once again. The organization deigned to take her in rather than lock her up.

  They gave her a new purpose.

While she may not have been able to remember anything, nothing could change muscle memory. Andy was built for the strenuous task of being an agent under S.H.I.E.L.D. But, most importantly, amnesia couldn't hope to erase the abilities she'd been given.

After joining S.H.I.E.L.D, Andrea would come to gain Level 7 access faster than anyone had ever seen. She was loyal to the cause and she was in their debt. Fury had given her a new life and nothing could change how grateful she was.

Then, when Captain America was pulled out of the ice, Andy found herself befriending the man quickly. Steve Rogers had proven to be more open with the girl than anyone else in the facility, which didn't seem to phase Andrea in the slightest.

  Yes, Steve had remembered her, but he was quickly informed of her situation by Fury.

He was ordered not to tell her anything, in fear that it might induce a mental breakdown in the form of a trauma response. So, for the safety of his friend, Steve complied. He feared it would restrict their friendship, but the two proved to become closer during their stay with S.H.I.E.L.D.

  They went on to fight in battles and missions alongside one another. Andrea's new life was one she was utterly content with─ even in spite of her inability to recall her past. But, with future events in store, Andy will take on many things that will mess with her emotions and cause her to undergo more than one stressful situation.

This story and the stories to come are about Andrea's life after escaping HYDRA and her stay with S.H.I.E.L.D— in a time that isn't her own.

NOTE: THERE WILL BE MOMENTS THROUGHOUT THIS BOOK WHERE ANDREA WILL NOT BE ABLE TO USE HER ABILITIES (TELEPORTATION) BECAUSE DOING SO REQUIRES A STABLE MENTAL STATE AND SHE MUST BE CALM AND CONCENTRATED. WHICH, WILL BE HARD FOR HER. SO. PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THIS BEFORE COMMENTING THINGS LIKE, "WHY DIDN'T SHE JUST TELEPORT?" THANK YOU.