3. ⇾ water

I got woken up by a scream. My head jolted up and I looked at the source of it.
Liam.

"Holy shit!" He shouted and ran back to me.
"What is it?" I asked with a cracked voice feeling how my throat burns from all the cold that I got tonight.
I stood up and took on my sweater. The sun was warming up my body which i was really thankful for.

"A snake! A big ass snake was about to snake itself on my leg." He breathed out.
"There's snakes here?" I looked around the sand and my legs only to be sure there's none of them near me.
"It seems like that. Anyways..." His eyes met my blue ones "I think I found this little river. We need to go to that jungle and get some."

I raised my eyebrow. A cocky smile started to form on my lips.
Liam confusingly looked at me and realized after a few seconds what he just said. He defensively raised his hands.

"No, no, no! I mean... Get some water. Sorry I think my head got a little overheated. All those snakes make me crazy." He awkwardly chuckled.

Louis tried so hard not to laugh at the embarrassed boy in front of him.

"Whatever. So, do you have something that we could fill up with water instead of going there every time to get it?"
"Actually, yes! I found this empty water bottle. Might be from the plane crash."

He threw me the water bottle.
"But it's filled up!" I looked at the liquid inside of it.
"Yes, I filled it up with that river water."
"Then what are we waiting for? Let's drink it! I'm thirsty as hell." I was about to open the bottle when Liam stopped me.
"I wouldn't drink it yet if I was you." He  took the bottle from me.
"Why, what the hell give me the bottle!" I shouted and tried to grab it from his hands. He lifted them up, clearly winning this battle because of the height difference.
"When I was in scouts, they always told us that before drinking water from rivers or lakes you need to desalinate it first. You don't want to get sick." He explained.
"Wow! Alright! Then desalinate it somehow because I'm seriously about to drink up the whole bottle. And no, I don't care if I'll get sick!" I shouted when he was about to interrupt me.

He just smiled and shook his head.
"We need fire and something to light up. Luckily, I always have a lighter in my pocket." He took out the red lighter and tried to light it up. But it was soaked with all the sea water it got.

"Shit!" He threw the lighter on the ground.
"You're such a little idiot sometimes. Like... Snakes, lighters, branches.." I laugh and look at the water bottle in his hands.
"This is just rubbish!" He shouts and runs his hand through his brown hair.
"So what do we do, Payno?" He was quite surprised by the nickname.
"I don't know, Tommo." He chuckled "But I think we'll need to drink it like that if we want to survive. No guarantees that we won't get sick from it, though." He threw the water bottle back at me.

We both sat down on the sand and shared the water bottle. You couldn't say that it tasted good. I felt like I was drinking dirt. But that's all we had.
"Any ideas how we will get food, scoutie?" I asked him when I finished the water bottle and gave it back to him.
"I have a few ideas but you won't like it." He said and ran his hand through the sand we we're sitting on.
"Like what? Drink our own pee? Eat our own shit?" I laughed.
His laugh filled the silent island.
"Well, that comes probably a little bit later, Louis." He rubbed his eyes "In the most critical situations I think we might as well do that." Liam grinned when he saw the disgusted look on my face.
"So what is it?"
"Bugs." He simply stated.
"Bugs?!" I shouted.
"Bugs. Buggies. Buggy bugs." He chuckled.
"I an not eating bugs." The thought of it just made me feel sick.
"Well, then maybe you prefer worms?"
"Isn't there anything else to eat instead of shit like that?" I desperately asked him.
"I can't think of anything yet. But bugs are an excellent source of protein. We can also use them as a fish bait." He stood up and wiped the sand off his bum.
"Please, tell me you're not going to make me eat bugs." I began to feel sick.
"Well, I can't spot any restaurant here that could serve you better food, Louis."
I sighed and followed him to the jungle.
"C'mon, cheer up. Maybe you'll like them." He said and patted my head.
This is going to be hell.