Chapter Seven

Ally's P.O.V.

Just one thing - what the actual fudge was Austin thinking? Yes, he wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed, but honestly, he should know better than to copy my songs. 

Maybe it's my fault for not paying attention. But it doesn't matter anymore. He's going on in two hours, and there's no way we can pull together another song.

I realized the pencil tip I was writing with in my book had snapped. Sighing, I closed my book and put the pencil down. 

Austin walked into the practice room. "Hey, Ally, what's up?" he asked, hopping over the couch and landing down hard on the other side.

"Isn't it obvious?" I replied glumly. He'd asked that question enough times.

Austin was oblivious to my mood. "Yup, you're right. The sky!" he said, bouncing up all peppy. He clearly didn't realize what had happened to our song.

He walked over to the piano bench where I was sitting and lifted the piano's lid. "Come on, let's practice the song one more time." He got out the first few notes before I interrupted him.

"Um-" I started. "Uh, don't you think-"

Austin jumped in. "That it sounds great? Yes, yes I do. We're so awesome!" He pumped his fist into the air. "Team Austin and Ally!"

I swear, Austin is on drugs or something. No one, no one but Dez, can act as weird as this when you think they're sane.

Shaking my head, I played the next two measures. We planned it out to be a duet, since my career was taking off and everything. "Yeah, it does, I agree, but-"

"But nothing! It's amazing!" Okay, now I'm confused. The real Austin would've been like, "Hahaha, I just said, 'but nothing.' What up!" and then do that thing with Dez, which just makes it weirder, because Dez isn't even here.

Instead of saying all that out loud, I just raised my eyebrows while Austin played. He could figure it out himself, if he wanted to be this stubborn.

Austin's P.O.V.

I'm not stupid, like Ally thinks I am. I know it sounds exactly like "You Can Come To Me" and "Steal Your Heart." If I had to be honest, than a little bit of "I Think About You" and "No Ordinary Day" thrown in there too.

But she's not supposed to know that. It's a secret, I want to surprise Ally. Ha, on television, no less. I'm incredible.

Anyways, it's kinda a gift, to say, "Thanks, you're pretty chill, go out with me?"

Not like it'll work. Well, not the last part. But it's my last shot. I'm getting pretty desperate. Besides, no one rejects anything on national TV. Nothing good, anyways. And, if I do say so myself, Austin Moon as your boyfriend is pretty awesome.

I just hope it works. The last time I wrote a song, someone sued me. And before that, a bear attacked innocent, what, eight-year-olds? Yeah, it blows.

So being me, and knowing my horrible luck, I'll either get injured, embarassed, or offended in a law-involved way. Maybe all of them.

"Austin?" Ally's voice snapped me out of my thoughts. "You there?"

I shook my head. "Yeah, yeah, totally. Um, what were we talking about? Oh, yeah, I definetly love your shoes." Her shoes kinda sucked, in my opinion, but whatever. A lie's a lie.

She stuck her foot out. Oh man, Ally, it's time to go shopping again. "Really? 'Cause, um, I hate them. Thanks for your advice, though. But we were talking about the gala?"

Oh no, not this again. It's hard cutting Ally off, the way she just has this look on her face like, 'Austin, sweetheart, I know. Don't interrupt again, or my private coven of witches will devour you' while nobody even understands what coven even means.

"Uh, yeah, the gala. So, let's talk about outfits. Dang, do not tell me you're wearing those-" I pointed at her feet "-monsters. You may not know this, but right now, you have a life in Miami. But wear those?" I shuddered. "Well, don't come crying to me."

Ally laughed. She had a pretty laugh. Like wind chimes...what are wind chimes? "Austin, there are more important things than our clothes choices. And I'm wearing my black dress with the silver heels, thank you very much." She folded her arms across her chest. "Now, lets work on the song, okay? It has to be perfect."

It was hopeless. I relented. "Fine. You start."

She sang the first two verses while I played and vice versa. I don't know why Ally was so nervous. We killed it.

"That's how we do it!" I yelled. 

Ally smiled. "We sound okay. It'll do. You can go hang out with Dez or something." She waved me off. "I'll call you when we have to work again."

So I left Ally sitting at her piano. She was thinking something over. "Austin?" she called out, drawing me back to the doorway.

"Yeah?" I said, wishing she'd get it over with, even though she just started.

She tilted her head. "I don't think I'll sue for copyright after all." A grin spread across her face.