Chapter 22: Take Candies from Babies

Start from the beginning

"This is so strange," One of the aunts murmurs. "My Junior is usually so well behaved."

"And I've spefically trained Lucy never to bark at anyone. Espically strangers."

"I wonder what's making them act this way?"

A familar voice interupts them. "It's because Peyton's nearby."

My head snaps up. Archer's silhoutte leans aganist the top of the staircase. Now that I know that he's here and watching, my urge to leave is stronger than ever.

As Archer steps down, Buster quiets down. It gives a signal to all the other dogs to follow his led and the uncles manage to take them outside without much resistance. There's a huge mud stain on the tiles, however, and my boots are covered slobber.

"Thanks," I say, turning towards Archer.

He seems different than usual. There are dark circles under his eyes and creases on his forehead. His face is much darker than when I first saw him this afternoon. The pen that he usually has behind his ear has vanished. And there's no smile on his face.

"What are you doing here, Peyton?"

"I - Where's your pen?"

"It broke," His eyes slowly drift down. "There's a snake around your neck."

"Yeah, I know," I perk up. "That reminds me. Do you have your camera with you? I need to take a picture with it."

"Why?"

"To show to Peter - my manager at the Pet Shop - that I really can handle snakes. He won't let me near them because he says that I cuddle too much and that I'd only put myself in danger, but that's not true. I took a Zoology course last summer and part of it was learning on how to handle, feed and take care of snakes."

"Is that so?" The side of his lip curls up twitches. "Then, you better come inside."

"You look so different when you're sad," I mutter, following him into the living room.

"What makes you think I'm sad?"

"Well. You're a) not smiling, b) not talking, c) your pen broke and d) there are circles under your eyes - well, there's always circles under your eyes. But you know there's something wrong when I'm talking more than you."

"I'm just sleepy."

"Aww, does sissy-boy need a teenage girl to protect from nightmares?" One of Archer's cousins enters the room. "Where were you this whole time, Archie? Cowering in your bedroom."

The small hint of a smile that was lingering around Archer's face vanishes.

Personally offended, I ask."Who are you?"

"I'm Jackel. And that's my cobra."

"Please, he's just a corn snake," I roll my eyes. "They're not venomous at all. In fact, they're a common house pet."

"I know that. And he's mine."

"Then, how'd he get on my bed?" I challenge, although I have an idea how he got there.

Archer's already told me about his prankster cousins who terrorized him as a child. They probably saw me talking to Archer earlier and decided to plant their pet snake on my bed to make me scream.

Sure enough, a smug expression crosses Jackal's face. But he covers it up with a fierce scowl.

"Excuse me, but what exactly are you trying to imply?" A woman that I can only assume is his mother calls. She storms over to us. "My son would never do such a thing. The snake must have wandered into your room on its own. "