Lionel Messi [~] Quick Substitution

Lionel Messi

For 134407500pet:

You bit your lip, your nerves starting to become overwhelming. You looked at the clock and cursed as the contractions got closer and closer together. You dialed Leo's number another time but he didn't pick up. It's not like he was neglecting you or anything, he was just in the middle of playing another game for Barcelona. You had hoped that one of his teammates would have glanced at his phone and seen the numerous messages you had left him, through both text and call, to tell him that you were going into labor.

You were nervous beyond words and had hoped that your husband would be able to make it home before the contractions got too close together. Unfortunately, he was still in the middle of the second half and the contractions were now too close for comfort. Willing the tears that were forming in your eyes due to your fear, you called your friend. She lived in Barcelona as well and you hoped she would pick up her phone.

She did luckily, and promised to get to your house as quickly as possible. You turned back to look at the game to see Leo score another goal. You smiled painfully as Leo stuck his thumb in his mouth, dedicating the goal to your unborn child. Oh, if only he knew that your child was about to arrive. You called several people at Barcelona while you were waiting and finally someone picked up.

"Who is this?" came the annoyed response of one of the Barcelona staff.

"This is (Y/N), Leo Messi's wife. You need to tell them to sub Leo out now," you stated, groaning as another contraction hit.

"And why does he need to be subbed out, Señora? He's playing spectacular right now," the man replied.

"I'm going into labor with his child right now. You need to get him subbed out and on his way to the hospital so that he doesn't miss our child's birth," you growled into the phone, seeing your friend's car pull into the driveway.

"I'll get right on it, ma'am," the man replied quickly before you hung up. You grabbed the hospital bag and waddled out to your friend. Locking the door, you smiled up at the house, knowing that this would be the last time you would leave the place before your child was born. Getting into your friend's car, you thanked her as she drove towards the hospital rapidly.

Leo, meanwhile, was confused as one of the assistant coaches ran out of the tunnel and towards Luis Enrique. The ball was out of play as one of the opponents got treated, and Leo stared confused at his manager, who gestured quickly to Munir to get warmed up. He shared confused looks with Luis Suarez as they waited for the opponent to finish receiving treatment. No less than five minutes later, Leo saw Munir standing next to the fourth official, gesturing widely to Leo to quickly leave the field.

Leo raised an eyebrow at his teammate, but nonetheless ran over quickly. Making his way towards the bench, he was stopped by Luis Enrique. "Grab your things quickly and head to the hospital as fast as you can, (Y/N)'s in labor," he explained quickly, causing Leo to panic.

"Is she okay?" he asked nervously.

"I'm sure she is. She said one of her friends was driving her there. Don't worry about practice or games, you have the next week off. Now go!" Luis pushed Leo towards the tunnel and the Argentine didn't need to be told twice. Pulling a hood over his head, Leo ran into the maternity wing of the hospital.

"My wife is here, she's in labor," Leo said hurriedly to the attendant, an old woman who didn't look impressed by anything.

"What's her name?"

"(Y/N) Messi," Leo stated. The woman's eyes widened slightly but she handed Leo the pass with your room number listed on it without making a huge fuss. Leo thanked the woman and turned to look for the room. Taking the elevator up to your floor, Leo's eyes widened as he saw you on a bed being wheeled to delivery.

"Leo!" you called out, causing him to snap out of it. He rushed to your side, easily keeping up with the running nurses and doctors. "I was so worried you wouldn't make it," you sighed in relief, leaning forwards and placing a quick kiss on Leo's lips.

"I'm sorry it took me that long to find out, I shouldn't have even left you alone by yourself for more than an hour with you so close to your due date," Leo cursed himself.

"It's not your fault, Leo, our child's just a little excited to come out into the world," you smiled painfully as another contraction hit. You groaned in pain as the finally got you to the delivery room. Nurses cleaned you as another nurse handed Leo a set of scrubs to put on. Leo grabbed your hand and you squeezed it tightly before your doctor instructed you to push.

Groaning in pain, you pushed with all of the energy you still had. Breathing in and out heavily, you felt one of Leo's hands reassuringly squeezing your hand, the other rubbing your back and helping you lean forwards to push better. "You can do this, mi amor. I believe in you," Leo told you, rubbing your back again as sweat dripped down your face.

Pushing again, you screamed until you were drowned out by the scream of your newborn baby. Laying back, you smiled as the doctor held up your little baby. "It's a girl," the doctor announced as one of the nurses handed Leo a pair of scissors.

"The honor is all yours, Papa." Leo cut the umbilical cord and handed the scissors back to the nurse as they whisked your little daughter away to clean her and check her out to make sure everything was okay. The nurses checked you out as well and suggested you take a shower. Leo helped you to the shower and when you finally returned to the room, a nurse was waiting with your daughter in her arms.

Handing your daughter to you, you smiled down at her. "Hi, sweetie, I'm your mama, and this is your papa," you cooed as Leo looked over your shoulder and down at your daughter. "We're so excited that you're finally here." Leo kissed your head softly before the two of you just stared lovingly down at your newborn daughter.