Ten

A sliver of early morning light became visible in the darkness. A mockingjay whistled in the distance, the sound copied and repeated until the forest was alive with music. Scott blinked groggily, and then pulled his eyes fully open.

The first thing he saw was purple. His eyes swam in and out of focus, and after another few blinks, the image focussed itself. Vincent was still sleeping, his breath coming out in little fog clouds from the part in his lips.

Scott smiled to himself, his heart feeling like it was expanding, filling his veins with warmth and affection. He shuffled closer to Vincent, his thin arm snaking over the other boy's chest, which jolted suddenly as Vincent muttered something intelligible in his sleep.

Scott sighed, pushing himself up on one elbow to hover over Vincent. He took in all he could, all the little details. The way his eyelids twitched slightly in his sleep, the little scar just under his lip, and- oh, those lips. Wonderful memories burst into Scott's mind, those lips pressed against his. He wanted this image to be so imprinted into his brain, that he saw it on the back of his eyelids even after he died.

Nerves buzzed through his body as a terrible thought crossed his mind. He should lean down, and kiss Vincent awake.

Scott shivered a little, despite being completely warmed up by Vincent's body pressing against his own.  He began to lean down just slightly, when something silver glinted in the corner of his eye.  He jerked his head up, and gasped.

Scratch his previous plan! Scott grabbed Vincent's shoulders, shaking him, "Vincent! Vincent, wake up!"

"Uh?!" Vincent snapped up into a sitting position, barely missing hitting heads with Scott as he looked around in a panic, "Wha-- What is it?"

"Look!" Scott grinned wildly, gesturing out to the clearing. Tiny little parachutes had landed around the sleeping bag, joined on the end of little silver capsules. Gifts from the sponsors! "There's- there's four of them! D-Do... Do we have that many sponsors?!"

Vincent rubbed his eyes, looking around. He raised an eyebrow, "Oh, I'm sure we do. Especially after last night. The audience wanted a show and, heh, did they get one..."

"Oh my gosh, is this what Christmas was like in the old days?" Scott shuffled out of the sleeping bag, grabbing the nearest of the capsules and twisting it open. It was something dark and fuzzy. He pulled it out and unrolled it, finding it a warm, black jumper made out of a thin, camouflaged and very, very warm material. It was perfectly his size. "This is amazing!" He pulled it on.

"Hmm..." Vincent leaned over on the other side of the sleeping bag, picking up another capsule, "There's only four. I was expecting there would be much more." He twisted it open, and out fell a huge pile of beef jerky and two empty water pouches.

"Mor- Did you plan this?" Scott gasped, looking over at Vincent. "Is that why you kissed me last night?"

"Well, I did say we were going to get you sponsors somehow, didn't I?" Vincent hummed, grabbing a third capsule. "I guess it would take several sponsors to raise enough funds for one capsule... Maybe we have twelve... three for each..."

"But..." Scott sat down again, his shoulders slightly slumped. "So... you... didn't mean it, then?"

Vincent paused, turning around to face Scott, "Mean it? Scott, please. Did it feel like I didn't mean it?"

"I don't know!" Scott scoffed. "How am I supposed to know how it feels when you mean it, and how it feels when you don't? Maybe you did it just because you needed something, and wanted to use me to get your sponsors to- hh!" He was cut off as Vincent suddenly leaned forwards, their lips colliding.

At first, Scott wanted to push him away, placing his hands on the other boy's chest, but Vincent's tongue suddenly found its way into Scott's mouth and somewhere behind Scott's eyelids (he wasn't quite sure when he'd closed his eyes?) a kaleidoscope exploded.

Slowly, his hands slid from Vincent's chest to wrap around his neck, pulling him closer - if that was even possible. Something deep inside of him stirred, filling him with an amazing sense of euphoria. It felt like eons that they were kissing, and at the same time, felt far too short when Vincent finally pulled away.

Scott leaned forward, falling into Vincent's shoulder as he wrapped his arms tightly around his torso. "Okay..." he breathed. "You definitely meant it."

Vincent smiled, panting softly as he nestled into Scott, "More than I've ever meant it with anyone else before. Ever."

Scott grinned into Vincent's shirt, his racing heart sending waves of affection down to his tingling fingers and toes. Vincent was so warm and comfortable in his arms, and he wished that this moment could last forever. Forget the games, forget the inevitable... Just the two boys, held in an intimate embrace, for the rest of Scott's life.

The peace was short-lived, however, when a canon sounded from barely 50 metres away from the clearing.