Chapter Three- One Heck of a Swing

Chapter Thre- One Heck of a Swing 

            I should have been wondering a) how I could convince Kyle, b) if he told everybody that I was a perverted stalker in his bathroom, thus ruining my whole life and possibly getting me expelled to live a life of shame, and c) how I could get another chance for my career as a fairy godmother.

            But by the next morning, the only thing I was worried about was how I could walk up to Kyle, magazine in hand, and how I could give it back to him. Hi, Kyle! Thanks for letting me disappear with your magazine! Okay, buh-bye!

            Yeah. That would totally work.

            I rested my head on the table. I was at the library, trying to catch up on some reading and trying to write two out of the seven papers I had to write for different subjects. This was why I hated leaving in the middle of a semester. I always ended up in the library on Sundays. To make my mood worse, it was a really good Sunday. Like those Sundays with the chirping birds, clear weather, great atmosphere for a walk or a stroll or anything.

            And here I was, unfortunately.

            Yawning, I forced myself to straighten and took a book from the pile I was supposed to read. With the less-than-normal circumstances that happened to me last night, I was sleep-deprived, and was therefore at the risk of entering dreamland any second. I opened the book on a page, deciding to finally read.

            I did not understand anything, much less keep my eyes open for most of the time.

            This was what sleep-deprived me did.

            And if my mood wasn’t already bad, I still had to think of Kyle’s magazine.

            “Hey, Remy.”

            I looked up, just to see Wes taking the seat across mine. “Uhh, hi,” I replied while innocently looking over his shoulder to check whether or not he brought one of the many things that could make my mood even fouler. “Where’s Jesse?”

            He shrugged. “It’s a Sunday, why would she be in a library?”

            I didn’t think that she would be in the library on Mondays, either. Or on any other day of the week, as a matter of fact. She really wasn’t the type. But sometimes, when your male best friend was dating that kind of vapid girl, you just had to learn when to shut your mouth, even when you so wanted to talk.

            “Why are you?” I mentioned.

            “Well...” He sat back on his chair, clearly relaxed. “I heard you were going to catch up on some schoolwork. You might need help.” He winked.

            I found myself rolling my eyes at him. “Really,” I said, my voice flat.

            “Kidding,” he said. “But I maybe I just missed you.”

            I looked at him blankly. To me, it was a statement that could send my heart skyrocketing its way to the moon.

            “Well, you know. You weren’t here for two weeks,” he hurriedly added.

            “Of course.” I forced a smile out. Okay. So much for my heart on its vacation to the moon.

            “Hey. Are you okay?” He was peering at me, his dark brown hair falling across his forehead and making his green eyes seem even more mesmerizing. “You look a little out of it.”