Prologue

We came from hunters.

Fierce warriors and skilled trackers, we would slay all beasts in our path.

But there was one beast that always caught our eye. Maybe it was because of the challenge, or maybe it was because we saw ourselves reflected in those glowing yellow eyes, but our people have always been drawn to the wolf.

For a boy to become a man, he first had to slay the beast. For a man to marry, he had to present his love with a silver pelt. It was rumored that the meat of the wolf would heal the sick, bring fortune to the poor, and make a man stronger.

And so the hunt went on.

We were ruthless, merciless. We decimated the creatures in number, but still, we did not stop.

The silver pelt became harder to come by, and when we did find them, their eyes burned with a ferocity and hatred not seen by the hunters before. With frothing fangs and a savage lust for our blood, the beasts fought relentlessly until the light left their eyes. But still, we hunted.

Our own sins and savagery were performed under the silver light of the moon. The Goddess was horrified by what she saw, and as revenge for her beloved silver beasts, she placed a curse upon our people.

Under the light of the sun, we stood as the hunters we had once been, but by the light of the moon, we were enslaved by a gruesome transformation.

From man to beast, the Goddess had a cruel sense of humor for she turned us into the very creatures we drove to near extinction.

Cursed to a life of excruciating pain and uncontrollable instincts.

Cursed to lose control of our own bodies, letting the savage beasts spill the blood of our friends, family, and neighbors under the light of every full moon.

Cursed to forever lust for the taste of human blood.

Cursed to only ever love one other.

Cursed.