three: the instrumental aspect

I had never been someone who knows how to talk to guys, so that was why I found staring at my phone pondering over what to text Gerard a bit of a stressful experience.

I decided to just send a simple hello text.

I set the phone down and nibbled on my nails a bit, a bad habit acquired by my anxious mind over the years.

After what seemed like forever my phone chimed it's annoyingly perky tone and I quickly grabbed it, reading his response.

"Good morning...I still haven't caught your name, that'd probably be a good thing to have."

I smiled a little and formed a response.

"We were too busy running from authority yesterday to exchange names. My name is Alice."

Sending the text, I walked into my bedroom to change into my uniform for work.

Thankfully they were flexible with it so as long as I had block bottoms of some sort and a red shirt.

Today I decided on black shorts and a kind of low cut red t-shirt, sometimes I wear a skirt or something a little fancier but I felt like being simplistic today.

I heard my chime again and I jumped slightly, not used to the noise.

"Ah, of course you would have a name like Alice."

I furrowed my brows at his odd response. What was so wrong about being named Alice?

It's a pretty common name, a lot of people are named Alice.

Shrugging it off I decided not to respond right then and continued getting ready for work.

It was around nine in the morning when I left the building and I took pleasure in the fact that it was a nice day.

The weather has a very strong impact on my mood and how I perceive the events of the day.

While I may seem like the type of person who enjoys gloomy weather to match my ever present pessimistic attitude, I love sunlight and warmth.

Rainy days are of course nice as well in small doses.

I enjoy opening my window and listening to the soft patter of it outside while trying but failing to make some artistic work.

Trying new things has always been something I thoroughly enjoy doing as I get bored easily and am constantly moving onto new obstacles.

As a result of trying but not sticking to a bunch of things I have acquired small amounts of talents for many hobbies as opposed to being extraordinary at one specific thing.

For example I have basic phrases and food items nailed down in a couple of different languages but couldn't hold a conversation for more than five minutes with people who fluently speak them.

I actually don't resent myself for it, these little skills and talents sometimes prove themselves useful to me.

When I arrived at Vern's I went to the back to grab my order pad and a handful of straws, sticking them in my back pocket.

It was maybe 11 a.m. when a group of guys came in, sitting themselves down at a booth in the far corner of the room.

I recognized them as Frank, Ray, Mikey (who I didn't get to meet the day before), and Gerard.

Resisting the  urge to go hide in the back, I grabbed four menus and silverware for all of them.

"Good morning my name is Alice I'll be taking care of you today, what can I get you guys to drink?" The string of words came naturally to me as I say them everyday a countless amount of times.