Chapter IV

CHICAGO, ILLINOIS U.S.A – NEOWORLD TOWERS: APRIL 10, 2141AD - 11:59am

Emmeline straightened her skirt and walked across the threshold into Richard Cranes office projecting a confidence she didn't feel.

'Head back, shoulders square, puff out your chest girl just like the therapist told you to... if only my boobs were bigger...' she thought.

Richards' office was huge, taking up almost the entire top floor of the office tower. It was also mostly empty save his enormous stainless steel desk situated by a two-story wall of windows looking out over Chicago. One hundred and fourteen steps from the door to his desk, Emmeline knew because she had counted those steps more times than she cared to remember. One hundred and fourteen echoing clicks of her high heels on the hard ceramic floor.

As her heel clicked the one hundred and seventh step Richard held his index finger to his lips and she stopped. He put his other hand to his ear and spoke into his headset. "That's great Ben, just great... okay I'll get it set up and call you tonight. No... I promise you won't regret it."

Richard ended the call and came flying around the desk to grab Emmeline around the waist and twirl her in the air. Her skirt rose slightly revealing her pale bare thighs as he placed her gently back on the ground with a flourish.

"That's it Em! We got it, the whole friggin' world! Everyone is on board!" his excitement was honest and infectious. For a moment they both just stood there grinning at each other.

"So," she stammered, "you mean..."

"No more wars Em, no more petty fighting... every country in the world laying down their arms and agreeing for the first time ever!" He didn't mention the fact that all those arms would end up under the control of an Artificial Intelligence designed, programmed and owned by Richard Crane. That same AI had also drafted the Human Constitution, the greatest document in the history of our race. It was that document that had brought them together as one people and set the stage for this very moment.

"Oh my goodness Richard..." Emmeline was at a loss for words. What do you say to the man who may have just saved the entire world? "...you did it..." she finished lamely.

"We did it Em," he beamed, "the whole damned human race did it!" Suddenly he threw his arms around her and kissed her cheek. He held her for a moment more and she relished every second wishing she could kiss him back.

He broke contact first and held her out at arm's length smiling broadly.

"My God you're wonderful, Em."

She felt herself blush and hated herself for it. She shook her head and pretended to brush a stray hair from her face as she regained her composure, then she swallowed hard hearing the click in her throat.

"So, now what do we do Richard?" she asked.

"I guess we should to call a press conference, huh?" He winked at her still grinning.

"Of course, I'll set it up for this afternoon."