Chapter I

CHICAGO, ILLINOIS U.S.A – O'Hare International Airport:  JUNE 15, 2118AD

            Six year old Toby's first experience on an airplane had been full of amazing sights and sounds, and the air hostess had doted on him throughout the flight. He had even got to go up to the cockpit as the captains' special guest. After they landed, the cabin crew had given him hi-fives and the co pilot had shook his hand like a grown up as they had left the plane. Toby was sad as they walked up the gangway but his dad had promised one more treat. He could help pick up the luggage at the baggage carousel. Now as his parents stood waiting impatiently, Toby watched in amazement as the conveyer sped past with an incredible assortment of bags, backpacks and suitcases. His dad had told him to keep a sharp eye out and let him know when he saw one of their pieces.

Thunk! A big black rolling suitcase tumbled down the chute to Toby's left. "That's not ours," he mumbled quietly under his breath. He wanted to be the first to spot his dads green duffle and pull it off the belt... if he was allowed.

            There were lots of people waiting for luggage, their plane had been completely full, and now as more bags began cart wheeling down the chute, men and women crowded in front of him. Toby did his best to see around and between them but it was a losing battle. His dads' big hand reached out absentmindedly and pulled Toby closer so he wouldn't get trampled in the crush.

            "Pick me up Dad, I can't see!"

            "Sorry little man, there's not enough room," his dad said with a crooked smile and a shrug.

            "No fair, you said I could...."

            "I know Bean but it's just too packed in here.... You can help me carry the bags once I get them okay?"

            Toby was not impressed and so he did was he always did, he sulked, snatching back his hand and stepping a few paces away from his parents, as his Dad gave him 'The Look'. Crossing his arms indignantly he turned his back on all the silly grownups clamoring for their luggage so he was the only one who saw it happen.

            Ten feet away from the crowd the air shimmered for a moment and the fine blonde hairs on Tobys' arm stood up on end. Soundlessly a tall man winked into existence a foot off the ground and fell to the floor. He caught himself somewhat awkwardly, waving his left arm to keep his balance and looked around with a strange expression on his handsome face. His eyes locked on Toby, and for a long moment they stared at each other. The dark haired man was wearing a three quarter sleeved navy blue top with a white band collar that made him look like a catholic priest and black slacks with no pockets. Both were very form fitting showing off his impressive physique. His feet looked enormous and were shod in shiny black boots with pointed toes. Most interesting to the little boy was what looked like a rectangular silver computer tablet fastened with an elaborate steel band to the man's right inner forearm. Its' curved screen flickered with blue and white icons that looked strangely familiar. Toby took a small step backwards towards his parents and the movement seemed to break the spell. The man smiled at him knowingly and winked, then strode purposefully to the baggage carousel, grabbed a suitcase and walked away with long confident strides.

            The whole encounter had taken no more than a few seconds and none of the adults had noticed. Toby watched the man as he walked quickly down the long corridor.

            "Dad! Hey Dad!" Toby tugged on his dads pant leg.

            "Just a sec Kiddo, I think I see our bags, look!" He scooped Toby up to see as the boys' R2D2 suitcase slid down the chute.

            "Cool! Can I get it Dad?" Toby yelled his eyes a big a saucers.

            "Sure, Bean, just be careful and don't bump anyone!"

            Toby jump down and wormed his way towards the conveyor to grab his suitcase as the strange man disappeared into the crush of tourists and business men, completely forgotten.