Chapter 37

12 years later...

asher

Alex, Aspyn, and I both got out of the car and walked towards the cemetery.

It's been 12 years since Tyler passed and today's the anniversary.

We all walked towards her grave and sat, none of us saying a word.

Alex, now 17, has grown into a man. In the years since Tyler died, Alex became a rebellious little boy as we predicted. He gets in constant trouble at school, and his grades aren't the best, but overall he's a great kid and I'm fortunate that we became so close. He also is a very protective brother of Aspyn, getting into various fights with boys at school who take interest in her. Grades may not be his best, but sports are. He has been gifted with true talent. He's signing as a professional skater next year, after he graduates.

Aspyn is now 16. She grew into a beautiful young lady, and as I said before, the boys are all over her (well not physically thanks to Alex and I). She stuck with soccer and plays on the varsity team at her high school. You'd think she'd be a tomboy, growing up with 2 boys, but it's quite the opposite. Well, she likes to say she isn't, but I see her skate with Alex all the time.

As for me? Well I'm the same old Asher. I'm still a doctor, which is good since the pay is great. I'm off on the weekends and spend my time mainly with the kids, or however much time I can get out of them. As far as dating goes I haven't gone on one date. Women have been interested in me but I've declined every single one.

You might think that's sad, thinking I'm going to grow old by myself.

But in reality I'm really not upset about that. I won't be alone because I have wonderful kids who will have their own wonderful families and I know we will stay close the rest of my days.

I have loved and it was a magnificent love that will satisfy me for the rest of my lifetime.

It wouldn't be fair to be with another woman, and compare everything about her to Tyler.

I know I could never fall in love as I did before, and I'm not sad because I will love in life in different ways.

I will love helping people, I will love my kids' children, I will love that new Starbucks drink, I will love trying new adventures.

I will love, but I will never love as I did Tyler.