Chapter 21

tyler

"Hey sweetie, who are you visiting today?" the lady at the front desk asks.

"Hi, I'm here for George Crow," I respond shakily.

I almost couldn't get up this morning, my mom had to give me a 'pep' talk. And frankly, it didn't work too well.

"Just go through that door," she smiled.

I opened the door, where the same guard from last time met me.

"You have ten minutes," he spoke, before opening the door, and closing it behind me.

I looked to the table, and saw George sitting there.

He was the first to speak.

"Did you bring me my beer?" he chuckled.

"Is this really how you want to live with yourself? Are you proud of what you've done?"

"Proud of exactly what, dear? Please enlighten me," he says, crossing his hands, as I stand there.

"Are you proud of what you did to my family? Was that your plan in life? Just tell me. I need answers. I need to know if you ever did really love my mother, if you actually enjoyed the alcohol and beating me was apart of your daily routine, if you ever really, truly cared."

"Look, I hate to break it to you, but no, I just chose your mother because she was beautiful, and she could have my son. You were an accident, I planed on leaving your mother the next week. And then you were born. I didn't want to have to pay extra child support for you, so I decided to waste away my misery being stuck with that family."

I nodded, and turned to leave.

"Tyler?"

"What?"

"The alcohol wasn't the cause of all this, I've been out of mind for a long time."

I left the building and got into my car. But, this time I didn't cry. He doesn't deserve that satisfaction for once in his life.

I drove home and went up to my room. Thankfully my mother had texted me a little bit ago telling me she went to the store.

I don't really want to tell her what George said.

Once I opened my door, I saw Asher sitting on my bed.

"Hey."

"Hi, what happened, are you okay?" he rushes, getting up.

"Yeah. I think I am," I reply sitting down.

"What do you mean?"

"I didn't go there to get a happy ending, Asher. Life can't always work out the way you'd like it to be it. I don't know if I'm okay, or if I'll ever be okay, because no one is. I don't know if I ever will return to see George. I received answers I expected from him, and it's over with. I knew from the start of this I wasn't going to keep going back and try to make things right with my father. It's not like he's going to have a drastic change of heart for my family, like you see in the movies. He's a forever ill person."

Asher leans in and kisses my forehead.

"I'm so proud of you, Tyler," he whispers.

We sit there in silence for awhile. My mother comes home after an hour, and Asher leaves us to talk,

"So, how did things go?" she asks, as sit down in the living room.

"I'm not going to say it went well, because it didn't really," I start.

"What did he say?" she asks, angrily.

"Nothing, mom," I lie, "He did't say anything bad. I've just come to the terms that he's always going to be the person he is. I believe that was my final visit for awhile with him. He's not my father, and he's not your husband."

She nods.

"When did you ever become so mature?" she laughs, her eyes getting watery.

I laugh with her.

"I'm going to miss you. Asher better take care of you in college."

I look away at the mention of Asher in the future.

"He will be okay," she speaks softly, taking my hand.

"I really hope so."

***

Spring break ended as soon as it started it seemed like. Asher and I spent some time together after my visit with my father, but he and his family went back to New York for the rest of the week to visit with their family.

They got in late last night so I, of course, am very happy to see him this morning.

As Asher was gone I was able to work on the project. I filmed the video and now all I have to do is edit it and finish up the paper. I really hope Asher likes the video.

I walk to the office to see Asher standing at his usual spot. Do I even have to tell what he's wearing?

I run and jump on him.

"Hey babe," he laughs, sharing his lovely smile for my sight.

"Hey Mr. Smith," I smile, kissing him on the lips.

"I missed you so much," he whines.

"Me too. How was it?"

"Okay. The family's good. But some of my old friends heard I was in town and stopped by my grandparents."

"No way," I gasp. Considering they didn't say a word to him after his incident disgusts me. What losers.

"Yeah, I didn't go out and talk to them, though."

"That's good, you don't need to open up an old wound."

"You're right," he smiles.

"Well shall we?" I ask, looping my arm through his.

"I guess we shall," he laughs.

A/N: I promised an upload...didn't I? (;

Stay rad and read lots.

Sincerely,

kl