Chapter 20

tyler

"I've decided to go."

"Go where?" Asher questions.

"See him."

"Are you sure? Baby, I don't want him hurting you anymore."

"It's okay. It's just, I came home tonight. All I could think about was how lovely everything was. How good you are to me, and how I love you so much. I don't think anything he can say will hurt. I think it's best for me."

"But, we don't even know if he took my words to the slightest consideration yet."

"Ash, he sits in a jail cell all day, and until the other month, he hadn't had a visitor in three years. Hopefully he has somewhat of a heart," I sigh.

"Well then can I go with you?"

"If you beat someone in jail up, you're probably going to be there yourself," I laugh.

He mimicks me like the child he is.

"I'm going to go to bed."

"Okay, goodnight Tyler. Please, think this through."

"Will do."

I hang up and set my phone down. Oh Asher, without protecting me, I don't think he'd have a life.

So, I set the date the next day to visit my father. I talked it over with my mom who also was a little uneasy, but reluctantly agreed.

I would go next week during spring break. Time surely does fly, before I know it, it will be May.

I'm more nervous then Asher himself.

***

"Good morning class, I hope you all had a good weekend," Mr. Baines spoke.

Asher turned towards me and smirked.

"So, I know spring break is next week and all, but we are going to be working a lot this week. May I remind you that your final project is due the last Monday of school, which if you think about it, isn't too far away. You have this week, Spring Break next week, and then three weeks after that. Then it's May, which only has about three weeks for you guys. Then you are done. You graduate, and bam, you're off to college. Have you guys thought about that?"

I sigh. Both Asher and I decided to stay in-state. He was accepted to UCSB, UCSD, UC Irvine, and a few out-of-state colleges.

I was accepted to those and a few smaller, more private colleges. We both decided to stay local and attend UCSB.

That was if Asher's surgery was successful. If it wasn't, he'd have to start the next year if he could start at all.

It all was coming so fast. I never thought I'd even make it this far. But, I think I finally can say I'm glad I did.

Not far from this point, I will be out of college, maybe I'll be married, and have kids, and have my own beautiful house.

I still don't know exactly what I'd like to be, but I'll figure it out.

"What'cha thinking about?"

"Gosh, Asher you scared me, and what do you mean?"

"Well, Mr. Baines dismissed us a couple minutes ago, and you haven't said anything, so I'm guessing you're zoned out or something," he laughs.

"The future."

"Huh?"

"I was thinking over everything Mr. Baines said. Last year, I wanted to be dead, I didn't think I'd make it to this point. And now we're here. I'm a senior in high school, almost ready to graduate. I have my college picked out. I have you, Asher, the guy of my dreams, but even better."