Let's Have a Chat

I felt so heavy the next morning when I woke up. I was aware of having strong arms hold me all night and maybe that’s why I slept so well. I knew I was safe. That was all my exhausted mind was able to confirm but there it was.

I stretched luxuriously in the huge bed, realizing after a moment that I was alone. Where was Klaus? Sighing, because nothing was ever predictable with him, I climbed out of bed and headed for the bathroom. My clothes looked slept in, because hey, they were and my hair… I looked like I survived a plane crash.  Great. I scrambled around, finding my tote bag. I’d stashed some essentials in there when Damon called yesterday. Enough to make myself presentable even if I didn’t have a change of clothes.

I’d showered and got myself put together. I’d pulled on my bra and panties, my jeans. My shirt was wrinkled cotton and I cringed at the thought of having to wear that. Well, I was in Klaus’ room… I entered his huge walk in closet and just shook my head. Did he have anything in his wardrobe besides drab and drab? Just because he was a villain, most of the time, did that mean he was required to have an aversion to color?

I found a dark gray Henley shirt of his and pulled it on, pushing the long sleeves up to my elbows. Well, it was his fault I was here so I was helping myself to whatever I required. I pulled on my shoes and resolved to search the house until I found someone.

The house was immense but as soon as I reached the bottom of the staircase, I heard kitchen noises, smelled coffee. I followed the sounds and aroma until I found a good-sized kitchen. Elijah was there minus his normal suit coat, his shirt sleeves rolled up as he worked at making breakfast. A lot of breakfast.

Sensing my presence, Elijah said, “Good morning, Caroline.”

He never glanced in my direction but his tone was friendly.

“Good morning,” I returned. “You cook?”

He grinned at that.

“I would have guessed you had people to do that for you,” I explained lamely.

“Normally, you’d be correct. But the things we need to discuss are sensitive in nature and we don’t want to be careless.” He was taking a cover skillet from the stove. I noticed he was in the process of making Eggs Benedict and they looked perfect. “Besides, I rather enjoy showing off my culinary skills from time to time.”

“I’m definitely not complaining,” I told him, my mouth watering. It didn’t help that I hadn’t eaten last night.

“Would you like some coffee?” he offered.

“Would love some coffee. I’ll get it.” There were cups and saucers set out next to an enormous silver coffee pot. The fragrance of dark roasted, caffeinated goodness had me smiling.

“Caroline?”

I finished pouring my coffee and found Elijah staring at me curiously. “What?”

“I didn’t realize your relationship with my brother had… escalated,” he said carefully.

“What?” Then I noticed his gaze shifted to the shirt I wore and back. “No. No! I’m so not doing the walk of shame. Are you kidding me?”

Elijah put his hands up in a conciliatory gesture, fighting a smile. “My apologies.”

“Did you see me with a suitcase?” He actually thought I’d slept with Klaus? Really? “I wasn’t prepared to be swept away to New Orleans.”

“I understand.” He was smirking now.

“Speaking of your brother, where is he? Aren’t we supposed to be having some big meeting about what I know that Silas wants and stuff like that?” I added cream, sugar to my coffee because really, what else did I have to do?