Day 1 - Your Best Friend

"When we honestly ask ourselves which people in our lives mean the most to us, we often find that it is those who, instead of giving advice, solutions, or cures, have chosen rather to share our pain and touch our wounds with a warm and tender hand. The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not knowing, not curing, not healing and face with us the reality of our powerlessness, that is a friend who cares." — Henri Nouwen

Dearest Best Friend,

          Jordan, you have been my backbone through this past year and your kindness and generosity can never be measured. You have picked me up when I felt as if the world had come crashing into my chest. You have been the comforting embrace and your love has been unconditional. I could not ask for a truer friend or a more loving soul. I would much rather spend my days with our excessive sarcastic insults and disturbingly unnatural conversations then do anything else. Your silly laugh always has a way of bringing a smile to my face and your upbeat, charismatic personality never seems to falter.

          You are one of the very few people that I look up to in life. I hope that I have been able to be even half as decent in return. You have picked me up at my worst and relished with me at my best. You are the definition of happiness and sincerity.

          I still remember the day we went to get my name changed over after my divorce. You went with me as moral support. We sat in the waiting area just laughing and poking fun at the silly posters strung about the room. The workers as well as the guard on duty thought we had just gotten married and were there to change over my last name to yours. We just chuckled at the irony of the matter.

          All the late night phone calls and unreasonable amounts of time we’ve spent just sitting around doing nothing. The countless television shows and movies we’ve seen together. Cheesy jokes and ridiculous sayings. You are the best friend that anyone could ever ask for and I am so grateful that you just so happen to be mine.

          Jordan you are my best friend, my guiding light, my biggest support and I love you with everything that I have. Though we have only known each other for about a year, this year has made all the difference and I never wish to go back to a time without you in my life.

Love always,

Samantha

P.s. This letter was a bit of a struggle for me. Not because I could not think of anything to say, but because no words even begins to explain the truly spectacular person that you are. Everything just seems to sound so cliché.