chapter 6 | 168 days

"It's so cold."

"Deal with it."

"Can't you see what I'm wearing?"

The weather perfectly convinces me that sleeve-less rompers and my new pair of Nike shoes are a huge mistake for the beach. I mean like, first of all, the beach weather isn't really cooperating enough with my outfit of the day and secondly, I just got the shoes a week ago and I'm not ready to see them dirty at a very young age. And what a gentleman will Mr. Devin Kyle be if he ever have the intention of re considering his indecisive decision on taking me to the beach with the outfit I have on right now. 

Or if he could at least think about lending me his varsity jacket because the particles of cold are are colliding so fast with my skin that I'm already on my way into becoming a deformed ice cube. But he's lacking the ability to comprehend my pain. Awesome.

He shrugs. "It was a last minute plan, so I don't think I can do much for you."

Resting my back on my car and crossing my arms, I ask him in confusion. "Why did you take me here anyway?"

"You don't like it?"

No. It' freezing. "I didn't say that."

"I just thought you're a little overwhelmed by school stuff, you know, and it's nice here. I've always loved the beach, it clears your mind off. But we can go home if you want."

I observe the area. The beach. The one place that holds a specific memory. A memory I almost forgot experiencing in my life. One beautiful childhood by the coast, that I can say was already perfect for an ordinary little girl like me. Everything was it, until it all vanished six years ago. And just like that. 

Here I am, back at the long-gone atmosphere. I shudder at the thought, quickly shutting my eyes close and terminating the old chapter away. I bring my focus back with the current situation, obeying the rules to never dig those old days again. But I still thank Devin for bringing me here. 

"Hey are you okay?" he asks, his fingers lacing my arm, turning my attention to him.

"I'm fine. We can stay."

"You sure?"

"Yes"

"Aight then," he finishes off, looking down on the sand.

"By the way, what makes you think that I'm overwhelmed by school stuff?" I ask cautiously, while pushing back my hair, tucking it behind my ear ignoring mother nature's cordless blow dryer because it won't stop doing it's goddamn job.

"I saw you crying the other day, remember?"

"Please Devin, school's not worth my tears," I state and laughing it off. When I lift my head to look at him, he isn't laughing with me.

"Then what is?"

And this catches me. I fully adjust my gaze, finally my eyes meeting his; the shade of a perfect morning sky. Crystal blue. A very captivating feature of his. I study it, despite the wind. Until I finally decide to break it off.

No. He doesn't need to know about Dean. No one needs to know about Dean. Let me leave that as our problem. It's already solved anyways. I return my eyes to him again, studying his external expression. A little cloud  forming on his face, feeling apologetic after what he just asked. "I'm sorry I didn't mean to–"

I throw my best smile, cutting him, as he struggles to finish his words. "No it's fine."

"Just so you know, I'm always here if you're ever feeling down. Or even if you go back home from school after having the best afternoon of your life, I'll also be happy to listen."