Part 40

The air was thick with the evening. The booze, the laughter, the people. Mary and John's living room was quite big and everyone sat around on various chairs and seats. Mary and John were tucked up on a sofa and next to them was Lestrade - eagerly making himself the centre of attention as the rest of the room roared at his story. Molly was sat in the middle of Sarah and Hannah - the three of them were all squeezed onto a big puffy coach. Beth sat curled on a chair next to Sherlock's and he caught her staring at him from time to time.

Sarah was Molly's friend from work and Hannah and Beth were Mary's friends from her work too but they all got on. Sherlock thought they all got on well enough anyway.

Lestrade's eyes glinted as he looked over to Sherlock, he had a bit too much and his tongue was becoming looser.

"Now if we're talking about a ladies man, we don't have to look any further than Sherlock here, do we?" Lestrade's voice boomed across the room as he took hold of the conversation.

Sherlock smiled politely but his eyes dropped to the floor. Out of the corner of his eyes he could see the girls beaming at him.

"Oh come on don't be modest you're smart, handsome - how on earth are you still single?" Lestrade chuckled to himself, intoxication clearly overtaken him.

"Come on Greg, I think we should call it a night. You've had a bit much. " Sherlock stood up and made his way to Greg as the girls took their cue and got coats and purses. "I'll help you get home."

"No, Hannah lives my way. You know who could do with being walked home? Beth lives your way." Greg leaned closer grinning and pushed Sherlock towards Beth. He really didn't want to but he felt obligated to now that Greg had announced it to the room.

A few goodbyes later and Sherlock was out on the streets. The cold air woke his face up from the heat and homeliness of the room he had just left. He began walking quickly with Beth beside him. He was aware that he should of talked but he couldn't think of anything to say. Beth could though.

"Still busy out isn't it?" Beth asked, unneccesarily as it was obvious that there was still a large amount of people on the streets.

"Yes." Sherlock replied, somewhat coldly but he wasn't annoyed - just bored from tedious conversation.

"Greg's a bit full on sometimes isn't he?" Beth asked, as though she hadn't just been witness to how full on Greg could be.

"Alcohol can change a person." Sherlock stated, turning a corner. He was aware he was walking a bit fast and Beth was struggling to keep up but he wanted to get home.

"Oh yes." She giggled, turning her body towards Sherlock.

It was no surprise that the man barged her. She stumbled into him with a gasp of shock and Sherlock caught her, his head turning to see the man but he was gone round the corner before he could see much. His smell had lingered in the air and it seemed slightly familiar.

"Some people are so rude!" Beth exclaimed as Sherlock gently put her upright again and carried on walked. He absent mindedly confirmed it but his mind was somewhere else.

They didn't speak again until they reached her door. They both said Goodnight and she lingered on the doorway but Sherlock had already turned and briskly walked away.