“If it doesn’t work out you let me know,” and he walked on past me.

The music changed to something slow and all the dancers took hold of their partners. Then that’s when I spotted Danny and he spotted me. My mind already drawing a blank.

He had almost black eye’s but they were still friendly. Right now they were interested. I really hoped my cheeks didn’t redden. I had seen him smile before when Daniel told him a joke weeks ago. Now that I remembered what his face was capable of my face might have turned red. 

Maybe it was also a good thing to be wearing a red cloak so it wouldn’t be as noticeable. He was much more handsome up in person with his dark hair and sun tanned skin. His frame loomed over mine. He was just wearing a suit and tie maybe because he didn’t care so much about Halloween. Overall he hadn’t changed much since we bumped into each other.

My brain wont stop doing 360‘s now.

I looked away about as natural as possible to see Lillian and Jimmy laughing as they snuck out of the gym unnoticed. 

“You want to dance?”

My brain went blank.

“Hmm? What?” I looked back him.

I guess he moved up to me around the time I looked away.

He looked apologetic suddenly, “Um nothing.”

It took maybe ten seconds for me piece everything he said together. I stuck out my hand to him tilting my head rebelliously at him. It took him two seconds to notice my hand was reaching out to him for him to look at me again. Goodness he was so handsome but I wasn‘t backing down now.

“What have we got to loose?” I told him.

Did my face do something to make something click in his. It had to be my confidence. If he declined, which I highly doubted, it would be horribly embarrassing. At least I would survive the night and I would know that I had no chance with Danny Skye. There really was no point in dwelling on negatives because I just knew it was going to be ok.

He took my hand then. I held onto his hand with both my hands after I straightened my hood out. I led the way onto the dance floor. 

There were some shocked looks from fellow classmates. 

Did the new guy just tame the lion? I think I did.

I was hoping to have to pick a spot on the dance floor to keep my mind preoccupied. Everyone kind of just moved out of the way. I suspected that it was because Danny was really that well liked. 

Back straight Jake and be a little more humble with your confidence.

I did just as I told myself.

I turned and tried to figure out how this was going to go. I had never danced with another guy like this before. My confidence didn’t waver however so I went with holding his left hand in my right. My left hand went on his shoulder while his right hand went to my waist. 

So snug already and I hardly knew ye! 

I smiled and then caught Nikko and Nick over to my left staring at us. They even smiled while their dates smiled too and covered their mouths at the same time.

Then we started slow dancing in slow circles. It didn’t matter who or what was in whatever direction. If anyone else was watching, it didn’t matter. This was magical. 

I had been to other dances with other people but never like this. Heck all of those other times it was planned but this was not. Our bodies swayed in harmony and I realized the song was playing was Unchained Melody by The Righteous Brothers. I didn’t want to talk and ruin this moment. I just felt like I was almost flying.