It was sad really that the society had degenerated to a point where its citizens could neither read nor write.  They knew nothing about the earth that they were apart of and all they learnt about was trying to stay alive from one moment to the next.

“Maybe I can teach you to read,” Ridec found himself saying.  Jessell would definitely not be pleased about that but he couldn’t help but feel that somehow he owed these people something, a way to recreate their civilization.

“You can read?”  Rea moved closer to where Ridec was standing and he backed away.

“It’s nothing that big,” he said shyly.

“You’re so bright.”

Ridec was easily one of the brightest minds in Merland but of course Rea wasn’t thinking about that, she was simply impressed because he knew how to read.  That was truly sad.

“Let’s try another room,” Ridec said.

“Sure.”

They hurried out the room and ventured into more of the adjoining rooms.

“I’m not finding any workshops,” Ridec muttered not able to keep the discouragement from his voice.

“Maybe if we go on the lower floor,” Rea suggested and Ridec hesitated.

“Maybe you should go back to the main room and let me go on alone,” Ridec said.

“Don’t be silly, there’s always safety in numbers, you should never split up that’s like the first thing your parents teach you.  If you’re going to stay alive and not be bitten always walk with a look out buddy.”

“Makes sense,” Ridec grunted.  “I just don’t want anything to happen to you because you’re trying to be my look out buddy.”

“You care?”  Rea’s eyes were all dreamy and sparkly.

“Okay, I’ll go first then,” Ridec said hurrying down the stairs and it was a few seconds before he heard the patter of Rea’s footsteps behind him.  “It’s a little dark so be careful.”

The dark didn’t really bother him, living all of his life underwater he had a natural propensity for the dark.

“I know, I can hardly see in front of my face,” Rea complained.

“Give me your hand and that way you won’t get lost,” Ridec said and immediately felt Rea’s hand feeling about on his shoulder.  He took her hand quickly before it could start to descend.

“I have you, just follow me.”

“I can’t believe you can see down here.”

“Once you’re eyes get accustomed you’ll start to see a little better too,” Ridec promised.

“It is a little better,” Rea admitted.

“Let’s try this room.”

“Just lead the way.”

They rummaged through several rooms and along a long corridor before Ridec finally said, “There.”

“What?”  Rea was still clinging to Ridec’s hand but Ridec could see from her mind that she could see much better now and the reason for holding his hand had completely changed.

“Looks like a workshop, let’s go in there.”

It was almost an hour later when Rea said, “What exactly are you doing anyway?”

“Sharpening and shaping metal to make a boomerang,” Ridec explained.

“What’s a boomerang?”  Rea was sitting on a desk that looked as if it had seen much better days.