Prologue

We had a tradition. Min-Young and I. On my birthday, I would give her flowers and she would give me a gift and vice versa. It was just something we always did. There wasn't any particular reason behind it, we just did it for fun. Well, I guess I did suggest that we do it because she's always liked flowers. Whenever I visited her apartment, I would be greeted by the sweet fragrance of the flowers that I had given her and that made me happy - like I'd made a mark and claimed her as mine. Every year I would give her the same type of flowers, forget-me-not flowers were what they were called. They meant something like 'true and undying love' and that was the kind of love I felt for her so it was only fitting to give her those flowers. 

The love I thought would last forever eventually ended. Just as the seasons change, feelings come and go.

Min-Young looked so tired. She looked like she'd had enough of everything. She could no longer put up with me anymore. "Jimin, I've had enough of your childish behaviour....we're through." Without a hint of emotion showing in her voice or upon her face, she turned away from me and started walking away. More than ever, I wanted to grab onto her hand and tell myself that she was just joking and that everything was going to be okay but I knew, somewhere deep in my heart, I knew that we are truly over. Men aren't supposed to cry but what could I do when the love of my life was walking away from me and there was nothing I could do to bring her back. She meant the world to me, she really did. I'd always dreamt of a future where I would wake up next to her smiling face and go to sleep holding each other tightly. I know that it's useless to cry over what was and what could have been but thinking about a future without her is something that hurts me more than anything.

-2 Months Later-
It's been a while since we broke up and I'm pretty sure that she's already moved on but I still can't get her off my mind. It's my birthday today and I just feel like I need some closure. I need to see her again to end my lingering feelings for her once and for all because right now, I still feel as if there's a chance that she'll change her mind and everything will go back to the way it was before.

I go to the local florist and pick up a bouquet of hydrangea flowers; they represent 'heartfelt and honest feelings,' the perfect flowers to use for an apology. With high hopes and a bouquet of flowers in one hand, I drive to her apartment. When I arrive, I knock on the door and she opens it without paying attention to me - her attention is on the man who is smiling as he hugs her from behind, her eyes filled with a softness I'd never seen. Upon noticing my existence, she asks the man to go and clean the toilet or something so she could speak to me in private. She closes the door behind her and looks at me with the most pitiful eyes, "what do you want now?" Sighing, I hand her the bouquet of hydrangea flowers I'd bought. Laughing mockingly, she grabs the bouquet of flowers and throws it down on the floor before shooting a glare at me, "didn't I already tell you? I'm tired of your childish antics and stupid games. Get out of my sight." Kneeling down, I pick up the flowers, petal by petal, thorn by thorn. "Youngie-ah, I'll love you until all of these flowers wither." The thing is, a plastic flower will never wilt.