Chapter 3: The Bookworm Isn't Shy

Start from the beginning

“Gracie, Grayson, they’re the same thing,” I snapped as I walked towards the stairwell. “You’re early. This means you get to do more work.”

“I’m ready," he smugly spoke. “I was born ready.”

“You were born stupid,” I muttered. “Anyway, I assume that your schedule says ‘organize books.’”

He glanced at his schedule before nodding. “We’re going to work on nonfiction and fiction books. I’ll organize nonfiction and you organize fiction. Do you know the alphabet?”

“Yes," he gave me an annoyed look.

“You can never be too sure; the books go in alphabetical order by the author’s name. You look at the book’s spine and you see the sticker with two words on it. It’s the author’s first and last name. Organize them. If you have any questions, don’t ask,” I barked before walking towards the nonfiction bookshelf.

I began organizing the nonfiction books. I took a crate of recently returned books and started placing them into their correct spots. I heard humming throughout the library and I found myself grinding my teeth together. I can’t work with noise. Instead of telling him to stop, I bit my tongue and continued organizing. His footsteps grew closer and I realized that he’d finish organizing his books first at the pace he’s going.

The footsteps grew closer and I heard them from behind me. I felt a presence directly behind me and I watched as he reached his arm beside mine and placed a book onto my shelf. He leaned closer to my ear. “Nonfiction in the fiction section.”

Instead of swooning like the majority of the female population would, I clenched my fists. “Ever heard of personal space?” I asked as I pushed his arm out of my way. I glared at him for a moment as he sat there with a priceless expression on his face. If I weren’t so aggravated, I could laugh.

---

I walked into the employee lounge and grabbed my water out of the fridge. I’m so annoyed. This boy thinks that he can use me like the other girls. I clenched my teeth and let out a slow breath. I heard the door open behind me as I opened the bottle and tipped it into my mouth, collecting the water. “That was yours? Whoops.”

I immediately spit out the water that was in my mouth into the sink. I turned on the hot water and immediately started rinsing my mouth out even though my lips and tongue were burning. I heard laughter and I turned to see him doubled over, holding his stomach.

“What did you do to my water?” I snapped.

He shook his head as he laughed, he held up his hand and waved it around. When he took a deep breath, he finally stopped laughing. “Nothing, I didn’t do anything to your water.”

I tossed the half-filled bottle into the trashcan just to be safe. As I was walking out of the lounge, I heard his overconfident voice. “You know? You should be grateful; most girls would love to drink my backwash!”

I scowled as I exited the library, thankful that I only had to work an hour for today. He may be good looking, smart, and athletic but his company is terrible; he’s too arrogant and it’s infuriating. I’d rather have all of the hairs on my head individually ripped out by tweezers than have to sit with him for two hours.

---

“You work with him?” Lola’s eyes were wide. She brushed a strand of her blonde hair behind her ear as she leaned forward. She licked the remaining pasta off of her lips as she listened to my words.

“Yeah, and he’s terrible. I hate him so much,” I explained as I cracked my knuckles.

Sandra shrugged as she looked over my shoulder. “Yeah, but he and his friends are hot.