Chapter XX - Loki (Bonus Chapter)

ابدأ من البداية

"When would one ever be in a mood to hear a baby bawling," she scoffed.

"Exactly."

"Hmm, I did wonder at Epona's odd composure." She placed a finger at her lips thoughtfully. "Given that you were in the room, it was most unlike her." And then another thought struck her. "I should still be in a lot of pain, yet I am not."

"You're welcome," Loki drawled.

On the whole, she seemed satisfied by his explanation and settled down thereafter. He nearly snorted with the irony of it — she was really the only being he felt inclined to placate, never mind explain himself to. That he was here at her beckoning at all spoke of his abiding affection for the girl. And love. Yes, he loved her in his own way; perhaps even more than himself which was quite the feat for a callous brute as he.

"How many tricks have you used on me heretofore?" Her question drew him promptly from his reverie.

"Woman," said he confidently, "you were ever and always ensnared by my face alone. I needed no artifice."

"Is that so?" She affected an unladylike sound. "What if I had eaten the pomegranate?"

"But you didn't."

"And if I had?"

"We would still be where we are now except that I would feel cheated."

"Why so?"

"I would have never known whether or not you'd have come to me of your own volition. You were yet confused and afeared of that which you felt for me; weighted by compunctions you had no obligation to feel."

"Of course I was obliged to suffer guilt! I dishonored my marriage-"

"No! The moment I had my hands on you, the decision was then taken from yours." He said this to ease her remorse, but should she wish him from her sight, he would perforce grant her whatever she desired. For now, he was happy to play the monster if it gave her comfort. Verily, she had no idea just how much power she wielded over him.

"I might have let you go that night and perhaps the next time as well, but I had determined to have you for myself eventually. One way or another, you no longer belonged to Harald; and you knew that then as well as I. It was for that reason that I had no need to employ deceit." The Norns had from that night hence carved their destinies together in one indelible rune, and it now remained to be seen just how deep the mark had gone.

She opened her mouth to say more on the matter, but he leaned in to kiss away whatever disaccord she sought to express. Pulling away from her, he tenderly cupped her chin in one hand and searched her eyes.

"Tis moot, Aila. But if you will feel regret, let it not be for loving me. You must allow instead that Harald had only himself to blame for permitting you to slip out of his arms...and into mine."

"You should not speak disparagingly of the dead." She seemed uncomfortable and looked about the room in case Harald's draugr thought to suddenly appear.

Loki grinned and shook his head at her. "He is happy where he is, Aila, console yourself with that. As for me, you were able to see past the monster I showed you, and look to the man within."

"The god, you mean."

"We gods do not love in the same way as mortals, but you have made me feel as vulnerable and humbled as any man who fears what love can do — or has done to him already." Loki clenched his jaw, perturbed despite the wonderment of these revelations. "I should have run away at the first inkling, but I knew it to be a useless endeavor since I'd only end up spending the rest of eternity thinking of you." But no god can love a mortal without consequence.