Chapter 8: Temporary Fix

Staring at my reflection, I barely recognized who I was seeing. The girl staring back at me was wearing a short, tight, sexy red dress with slits up the waist. Her hair was curled, flowing down her back in a way that made it seem to glimmer in the light like gold coins, and her makeup made her green eyes look like emeralds gleaming through her fluttering eyelashes.

"Hey Ave, you almost ready to go?" Dylan's voice called to me.

"Yeah, just a second!" I called back. I quickly pulled on my shoes before leaving the guest room.

When I walked into the living room, Dylan had his hands stuffed into his jean's pockets and was smiling at something Tyler was saying. I didn't hear any of it though because all I could think about was how handsome Dylan looked in black. How have I not noticed that before? I wondered.

What was I thinking?

I must have made a noise or given some sort of implication that I was standing there because Tyler and Dylan both looked over at me at the same time, and Dylan's mouth dropped. I felt my cheeks began to redden and shyly looked down at the ground.

"Wow," Dylan breathed, his eyes never leaving me. "you look... Avery... wow."

I looked up at him through mascara coated eyelashes and smiled. For a moment, Tyler just looked between the two of us with an odd look of comprehension on his face, but then he quickly shook whatever he was thinking out of his head and said, "Everybody ready to go?"

"Yeah, let's get this show on the road."

And we did. I didn't know how long it took to get to the party; I didn't even know where it was, but even if I did, it wouldn't give me any clue as to how long it would be until we got there. I was in Atlanta, and I knew nothing about where anything was. It was such an odd feeling after growing up in such a small town.

"Right here." Dylan said, pointing.

I looked up from my phone to find us parked in front of a beautiful, extravagant house. It looked like something from a movie, and for a moment I wondered if it actually was in a movie once. But it didn't matter. Tyler was opening up the car door for me; I was supposed to get out.

"Thanks." I said, smiling at him.

"Dylan, Tyler!" someone said, running up to the three of us. I could tell that she was slightly intoxicated by the way that she stumbled down the three porch steps. "Hey, the party is great and— oh, who's this?"

Dylan looked over at me, and his eyes lingered on my waist for just a bit too long before he smiled and wrapped his arm around my shoulders. I breathed in his scent and instantly felt intoxicated too, high on how he smelled of safety and security. What was wrong with me today?

"Holland, this is my friend Avery. Avery, Holland."

I realized that this was the same Holland that played Lydia on Teen Wolf and wondered how I hadn't noticed it before, but then Dylan was looking at me, and I felt drunk again. I stepped away from him, and his arm fell from my shoulder.

"Nice to meet you." I reached out and shook Holland's hand.

"You too." she responded, glancing at Dylan over my shoulder. I glanced back at him too but avoided his eyes. "Let's go inside. You guys want drinks?"

"Yes." I answered at the same time Dylan and Tyler said, "No."

We all exchanged glances as we walked through the front door, and then I looked down at the hardwood floor. I didn't want to look at Dylan right now because for some reason, whenever I did, I had a sickening urge to rip his clothes off and — oh god, what was I thinking? I didn't have feelings for Dylan!

Holland handed me a drink in a plastic red cup.

"What is i—?"

But since the music was so loud, she didn't seem to be able to hear anything I was saying. I lifted the cup to my lips and took a small, cautious sip. It tasted like straight liquor and burned as it slid down my throat. I scrunched up my nose, letting out a noise of disgust.

"Ugh, Dylan try this, it's disgust—" but when I turned around neither Dylan nor Tyler were standing behind me. I glanced around, but they were nowhere to be seen. "Where'd they go?" I yelled to Holland over the music.

"Hanging out with the boys." she answered, smiling.

"Uh... Holland, I really don't — where are we—?"

"Oh, don't worry!" she giggled. "Here, take another drink. Why are you so tense?"

"I'm not tense, I just —"

"Take this shot." she told me, handing me a shot glass full of brown liquor. I sat it back down on the table as I passed it.

"What? No, I really need to find —"

But then my body collided into a much taller, much more muscular one, and the plastic red cup I was holding tilted, spilling all over his front and falling out of my hands. "Oh! I'm so sor—" but I stopped short when I looked up and saw the face of Tyler Hoechlin staring down at me. I stumbled back a couple of steps.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to — are you alright?" he asked me.

"Yeah, I... I'm so sorry! Oh, now you have some sort of hard liquor all over your shirt and—"

"It's alright." He was laughing at me. "I'll go get you another drink."

He started to walk away, back to the direction I had came from, and I looked around to find that Holland was nowhere to be seen anymore either. Had she not noticed that I was no longer following her? I didn't want to be alone at this party. Where were Tyler and Dylan?

"No, wait!" I said, spinning around to face him. "I... what about your shirt?"

"Oh yeah." he said, looking down at it. Then, he grabbed the hem, pulled it over his head, and I was standing face to face with a shirtless Tyler Hoechlin.

I needed a drink as soon as possible.

"Oh, I guess that'll work." I said to myself as he walked away. Where was Holland when you needed her?

Tyler came back moments later with another red cup. This time, I downed it all as soon as it reached my hands. It was harsh, and I had to shake my head to get rid of the burn that it left in my throat.

"Thanks." I said. Then I handed the cup back to him, took off my heels and started to walk away. I needed to find someone that I knew.

"Looking for someone?" said Tyler's voice when I was only a couple of feet away.

"Yeah, actually," I admitted, turning around and walking up to him again. "I'm looking for my friends. I think you know them." I glanced around as I was talking and immediately wished I hadn't.

Dylan was sitting on a couch near the closest wall, and a dark haired girl straddling his waist, kissing his neck and grinding her waist on him. His hands were placed low on her back, sickeningly close to her ass.

I felt sick.

"Are you alright? You look like you've just seen a ghost." Tyler stated, frowning at me. I turned to him and shut my open mouth.

"I'm fine." I lied. "Would you... Do you want to go upstairs?"

"Definitely."