Chapter 2: Yesterday

    The reception was supposed to be right after the ceremony in a large hotel party room, but I decided to take my mother's car home to change. Dresses were never really my style, especially when I was younger. Don't get me wrong, I'm still pretty feminine, but I find jeans and a t-shirt to be a bit more comfortable.

    By the time I had made it to the reception, night had fallen and the party was already in full swing. My mom, dad and brother were sitting at a table a few feet away from the door I'd just entered. I walked over, glancing at the people dancing at the front of the room, two of which were the bride and groom.

"Hey, it's about time you showed up. I was getting a little worried." said my mom, pulling out the chair beside her for me.

"Yeah, sorry. I didn't realize how long I had taken."

"It's alright, we haven't ordered dinner yet." said Alex.

"Oh good!" I said, looking at the menu in front of me. "Oh — you'll never guess who I ran into earlier!"

"Who?" said mom, looking over with interest.

"Dylan and Julia O'Brien, they were at the wedding."

"Oh wow, how are they?" Alex asked, looking interested as well.

"Good it seemed... though we didn't get to talk much. I wonder if they're here right now. I think I'll look around for them, maybe invite them to eat with us?"

"Great idea."

    I scooted out of my chair and glanced around. Shannon and her new husband were just sitting down, and I decided that the best place to start would be asking her if she had seen her niece and nephew around here anywhere recently.

"Hey, Shannon!" I greeted her. She jumped up immediately and pulled me into a hug.

"Avery! Thank you for coming!"

"Of course, and congratulations!"

"So what can I help you with, dear?" Shannon asked, sitting down beside her husband again.

"I actually was wondering if you had seen Dylan and Julia around anywhere. My mom would like to see them."

"Oh yes, they were sitting down right over there!"

    She pointed in the direction of a group of tables, and I could just barely see Julia all the way in the back corner. I said a quick thanks to Shannon before walking over in that direction. Just as I had expected, Dylan and Julia were sitting at a table in the back corner.

"Hey, guys!"

"Avery, hey." Dylan said.

    It was the first time that he had spoken to me since we were kids, and I was shocked at how deep his voice had gotten. Our eyes met, but we quickly looked away from one another and I said, "I just wanted to ask if you all would like to have dinner with us at our table?"

"Yes, absolutely!" said Julia.

"Great, we're just over there, but where are your parents?"

"They're just dancing. I'll stay behind until they get back and then I'll find you guys."

"Oh, I... alright."

    Dylan stood up, and I discovered that he was at least a foot taller than me now. Instinctively, I took a step back, making Dylan chuckle at my startled expression.

"When did you get so tall?" I breathed, looking up at him.

He shrugged and said, "Around fourteen."

"Alright, come on. We're over here." I said laughing a bit.

    As I lead the way toward our table, Dylan was silent. I wanted to talk to him, but I couldn't find anything to say. How have you been? What have you been up to? Do you have a girlfriend? All of those questions just seemed too impersonal for someone who used to be my best friend, someone who I knew like the back of my hand.

They all seemed too impersonal for my first love.