Chapter 30 -Part 2: A Woman's Prerogative

Start from the beginning

Mina stared incredulously at the Captain for breaking his own golden rule of silence but then the realisation of his efforts dawned on her. She sighed as she realised that he made her crude communication system with her gang equate to banging their heads on rocks. Anybody in passing would not question the sound that flew from Marco's mouth to be anything other than a native bird. However, she knew that he was sending out a signal to whoever was listening with a well-tuned ear. She considered asking him what that particular call meant but thought the better of it since she did not wish a repeat episode of his hand over her mouth. It hadn't tasted too pleasant to begin with.

Marco turned in the tight space and put a finger to his lips to prolong Mina's remarkable moment of silence, then he twisted back and waited with shallow breaths. He positioned himself in front of the maid, offering her as much protection as he was able and continued to follow the flickers of unnatural light with furtive eyes.

It wasn't long before the sound of a peregrine falcon came and Marco inhaled the fresh air with relief at hearing the much anticipated noise. A measured tread entered the street and Marco silently withdrew his gun from the small of his back. He clicked off the safety mechanism in case his dealings took a little turn for the worse and crouched in position, ready to launch.

A pair of boots came to a halt directly in front of the vent and a familiar voice whispered down. "At ease, soldier. I heard your call."

"Dra'gaan!" Mina squealed and squished inelegantly passed the Captain, to exit the tiny space.

"Urgh, fft huffp," Marco muffled as she pushed his face into the stone wall with her hand.

"We found him. He's here!" she whispered delighted to have succeeded in her first real task. "Wait, what are you doing here?"

Dra'gaan looked less than pleased and addressed Marco as he climbed nimbly out of the crevice. "The people you saw in the shadows just now are tracking Bianca on my instructions." He looked pointedly at Mina before continuing, "It just so happens I was around to hear your call. Did you both follow the assassin here?"

Mina's jaw dropped. "Lady Bianca is here? With the assassin?!"

Dra'gaan frowned, perplexed. "If your report places the assassin here, then it would seem so."

"What?" Mina asked in utter exasperation. "Then all our efforts are for nothing? You found him in the end on your own?"

Dra'gaan's eyes narrowed. "That is simple not true. Bianca has just arrived. I have not yet ascertained the exact identity of who she is meeting. The information you have provided is invaluable in preparing for entry, and what is more- basic mathematics would tell you that we now have an extra man for the battle which may be the difference between life and death." He glared at Mina, clearly expecting her to have discerned as much, then leaned closer to Marco and handed him another pistol. "We go in now. We aim to take them alive, understand?"

Marco nodded silently.

Mina tapped Dra'gaan's shoulder incessantly. "Excuse me, where is my gun?"

Her mentor frowned down at her, "If I remember correctly the last time you handled a gun it did not go so well."

Mina remembered her encounter with the Duke of Wyvernstone in the galley and scowled. It was just like her mentor to harp on about one small mistake.

Dra'gaan stepped in front of her and made odd hand gestures to people that she couldn't see. Marco seemed to have no problem understanding the curious sign language and promptly scaled a wall to enter the building through a broken window on the second floor.

"Get back into that vent," Dra'gaan ordered. "I will come back for you when it is done."

"You're kiddin' me, right? What do you think you trained me for?" Mina argued, knowing that she was making her teacher lose precious minutes, but she couldn't seem to stop herself.