Chapter Three

The Owler was actually gone. It wasn't under her bed, it wasn't in any of the drawers, it wasn't hidden in the closet. It was gone. Jeanine felt drops of sweat run down her back and started to panic. What happened to it? Did someone break in?

Searching through every part of my room, she made a huge mess on the floor again.
When she finally sat down on my bed, giving up, mum walked into the room. She scanned the room and looked at her daughter. Then, she walked through the bundles of clothes, books, old toys, magazines and pillows until she reached the bed and sat down next to Jeanine. For a while, there was an awkward silence between them. The girl looked around the room and out of the window until her mother spoke.

   "Let's forget about the mess in your room right now." she started. "I want to talk to you about your acceptance letters."

   "Letters? Like, the plural letters? I got one letter from one Pottem." the girl snapped at her mother, becoming very irritated as she hadn't had eaten in a long time.

   "Yes, letters. With an S on the end. When I took you to the hospital, your father checked the Owler. You received two acceptance letters, one from Pottem and one from Hogwarts." Mum explained calmly. "He of course came to tell me straight away. It's very rare to receive two acceptance letters. You have to be exceptionally gifted." She said proudly.

   "Why didn't you tell me that when I woke up?" Jeanine asked, raising her voice. "It would have spared me hours of stress and anxiousness!"

   "I'm sorry, sweetie. I should have told you, but you looked so tired... There were people there." she half whispered. From that, Jeanine understood that it wasn't something to boast about.

   "Okay. So, what do I do when I get two acceptance letters?" the girl asked her, still sounding annoyed.

   "You have a choice." Jeanine chocked on the air.

A choice? I've never had a choice.

   "But, what do I choose?" She thought out loud.

   "It's your choice, but you always dreamt of going to Hogwarts, right?" mum pointed out.

   "I have..." Jeanine agreed. "I'm going to Hogwarts!" She smiled.

   "Great! It would be good if you didn't tell anyone about getting two letters. It's said to be pretty dangerous. If they want you at Pottem that means they want to monitor you and if they want you at Hogwarts too, that means you are also... Special." She gulped. "But don't worry about this sweetheart. Just have fun." Mum smiled at her daughter, but there was still something wrong. The Owler was gone and what mum talked to her about didn't explain why it wasn't where it was supposed to be.

   "I have one more question." Jeanine said. "Where's my Owler?"

   "It broke down." Mum said, but the girl knew her mother was lying. Owlers don't just break down unless they fall from a twenty story building or they're broken with magic.

   "Of course, mum." She gave her a fake smile.

   "And... Please tidy this up. Soon we will have to pay the elves twice the money because of all the mess you're making!" Mum laughed as she exited the room.

***

The next day, Jeanine woke up, joyous that she was going to Hogwarts. She was extremely happy to go to the school where her whole family (kind of) went to. While she ate breakfast, mum informed her, that Angie and Harold were going to visit later today. She was super excited to be able to meet them and talk to them and tell them she'll be going to Hogwarts! They were going to come for lunch and the time couldn't go any slower.