|48| s k i t t l e s

Start from the beginning

"Okay, enough of that, guys. Where's the rest, anyway?" I aksed with a laugh, noticing the missing faces in the room.

As of the moment, it was only Austin, Lily, Vincent, Stephen, Alfred and I. With the faint sound of Mrs. Ford's pots banging from the kitchen.

"Oh, Kayla's on the way. She forgot to buy this guy a gift," Lily motioned over at Austin. "And, Patrick's accompanying her and Georgina's coming soon. You know how she hates driving on snowy weathers. Tori is picking up her boyfriend. I think Julie and Max are on their way, too."

My ears perked up at the word 'boyfriend' being in the same sentence as Tori's name. Last I remember was Tori's break up with Matt. It was a fee months ago already, and now I was a little excited about the news of a new guy.

"Hold up," I said, stepping away from Austin's hold. "Boyfriend? Tori has a new boyfriend?"

"More of like they're back together again," Stephen piped in, eyes still glued to the T.V. screen.

"Oh, you mean they're back together? Tori and Matt?" Austin asked, sounding pleasantly surprised.

Stephen nodded his head, mumbling a nonchalant 'mmhm' under his breath.

"Wow, this is great news!" I chirped.

"Yeah, if only I have an interesting love story to share too," Lily said with a frown.

Hearing my best friend's defeated sigh, I lifted my head to look at Austin beside me. We both shared a look of concern for the preppy strawberry blonde girl who wasn't so preppy anymore. But instead, was sulking at the corner, fiddling with the chuncky bracelets around her wrist.

What I didn't expect though, when I looked back at Lily, was the sight that greeted me, causing both of my brows to shot up. And there it was, the sight of a half-smiling girl who was obviously shy, with her arm pressed against an equally shy boy in the name of Vincent.

I smiled. Watching them together felt like being sucked into a rolling film of one of the best love stories of all time. Suddenly, everything around me shifted, everyone else disappeared except the two of them and me.

All I saw was a scene, depicting an insecure girl and an unsure boy on the beginning of their journey towards the discovery of love. And at that moment, as Lily and Vincent's eyes met - sparkled with that familiar feeling of warmth and serenity, I was one of those bystanders again. Another girl outside of their bubble, another minor character in their love story. Just another fruit to fill the gaps of the basket. Uninteresting, ordinary... pedestrian. But this time, definitely happy.

A sudden nudge on my elbow pulled me out of the scene, and the first thing I saw was a pair of warm hazel eyes with flecks of gold staring at me with an intensity that nearly knocked my breath away. Just like it did every single time.

"It doesn't seem like Lily has to worry about being single for too long."

A slow grin grew on my face as I got pulled back into my own paradigm - my own movie playing right in front of me. So, with a smile that was worth a blockbuster hit, I whispered closely to my leading man, "I think you're right."

-

"Where are we going?" Austin asked for the nth time already, his own hands atop mine as I guided him along the stone pathway leading to their brick patio.

The ground was covered in snow, and each step we took the soles of our boots left marks onto the path of snow, dotting the pathway with a pair of foot prints.

My hands unconciously pressed closer to his eyes at his inquiry, heart beating faster as each second pass by "We're almost there. Just a few more steps."