Dramatic effects

Dramatic effects

I couldn’t shake my suspicions. I paced Lou’s room, still undressed and un-showered and waited for the clock to turn eleven – a decent time to call Alex.

“What’s going on, Alex?” I asked him off the bat. “Are they seeing each other behind my back?”

“Whatever happened to good morning, Leesbian? And who are you talking about?”

“Why aren’t you at work? Aren’t you and Lou supposed to be a team?”

“Lee, settle down. I have no idea what you’re going on about.”

“Lou went to work. She said she had a meeting with Claire. Why doesn’t that involve you?”

“They have meetings all the time, sweetie. Why the sudden bout of paranoia? I thought you were fine with this whole arrangement.”

“I was, up until now. It’s Lou. Something’s going on with her.”

“Listen to me, Lee. If it was Claire, I’d know. You know I have a special kind of radar for these kinds of things. I promise you, nothing’s going on between them. And if I had even the slightest suspicion, you’d be the first to know.”

“Don’t you think she was behaving oddly last night?”

“I don’t know, sweetie. I just thought she was on her blob or something. She seemed a bit pissy.”

“Maybe it’s just me being silly.”

“I can discreetly inquire if you want. Detective Alex to the rescue.”

“Let’s just see how the rest of the weekend unfolds.”

“Don’t worry, Leesbian. It’s probably nothing. You must be suffering from a hormonal imbalance. Can’t you take a tablet for that?”

“You always know what to say to make me feel better.”

“That’s what friends are for.”

I sauntered into Lou’s kitchen where Vic was preparing a late breakfast. She seemed in no hurry to find a job, or a flat of her own.

“Morning darling,” she said. “I’m making French toast. Would you like to share?” If anyone knew what was going on with Lou, it would be her best buddy Vic.

“I could certainly use something to cheer me up.”

“What’s wrong?”

“No offence, Vic, but I’m not sure you’re the right person to discuss this with.”

“Ah.” She dipped some bread in batter, then made it sizzle in a pan. “Does it concern Lou?” She brought her hands to her hips and stood there all matron-like, with her stripy apron and wooden spoon.

“Yes. I wouldn’t want you to get involved.” She flipped the slice of bread and a hissing sound filled the kitchen again. She waited a few seconds, then lifted the toast from the pan and presented it to me on a plate.

“Here you go,” she said and sat down opposite me. “Now tell me. How can I help?”

“The sugar overload is working wonders for me already.” I munched a few bites but she kept staring at me as if waiting for an important confession. “What are you doing today?”

“Come on, darling.” Vic had the habit of calling everybody darling. In that affected accent of hers it sounded very nineteen twenties. “Spit it out.” At least I had made it look as if I had insisted on not talking about it.

“Have you noticed anything different about Lou lately?” She sighed almost solemnly and dramatically pursed her lips together before she began to speak.

“You know I love Lou dearly and I think you two make the cutest couple.” She folded her hands together and tilted her head to the right a little to garner an even more dramatic effect. “But…” She paused. “I don’t know how to say this really.”

To be continued…