Reasons for blushing

The morning inched by without a sign from Lou. I’d sent her a text and an e-mail, slightly worried to come across as too stalkerish − at least she’d know I was still keen. When I finally did receive a text message, it was from Lucy. Meet me at the pizza place in Covent Garden at one. I’ll buy you lunch. Pizza? Maybe the mystery woman wasn’t Joan after all.

“What’s the emergency?” Lucy asked as I sat down across from her.

“Your aunt is worried about you,” I said. “And your assistant is extremely annoying. Can’t you get rid of her?” Lucy leaned back and her face broke into a wide grin.

“Let’s start with Auntie Eleanor. What’s on her mind?”

“Basically, your taste in women.”

“Women? Meaning the plural of woman?”

“Yes. And that includes me.”

“Which other women might she be referring to?”

“Don’t play dumb, Lucy. Between the two of us it wasn’t that hard to figure out.” She shuffled in her seat a bit.

“Let’s order, shall we? Do you want to share a quattro formaggio?”

“I’m surprised you’re still allowed to eat something as disgusting as pizza. Or are you going for an extra spanking tonight?” A mild blush started at her neck and crept up along her cheeks, absorbing the freckles next to her nose.

“What on earth are you talking about?” She fidgeted with the bottom of her glass a bit. I understood why she was so reluctant to say it out loud.

“Joan bloody Harris is what I’m talking about. For heaven’s sake, boss, what’s going on?”

“She has, erm, a very persuasive personality.” I’d never seen Lucy’s face go crimson like that − and I’d seen her in various situations that invited some heavy blushing.

“I suppose the tools give her an edge as well.”

“Let’s not go into too much detail, please.”

“Lucy Rowe, I’d never thought−”

“Maybe we should try to steer this conversation into a more professional direction.”

“It’s a little late for that, isn’t it?”

“I hadn’t expected to like her, but it was a case of instant chemistry. I can’t explain it and I certainly don’t have to justify it.”

“No, but you should know she has a bit of a mean streak.”

“I’m aware of that.”

“Eleanor isn’t very happy about it.”

“As much as I adore her, it’s none of her business.”

“Is she making you do compulsory work-outs yet?”

“My, erm, thing with Joan is very different from what you had with her, Lee. I don’t think it compares.”

“I sure hope it doesn’t.” Lucy and Joan, I had a hard time picturing it in my head, but Eleanor was right about one thing. Lucy did have a ghastly taste in women. Just as I swallowed the last bite of pizza, my phone rang. Lou. Finally. We had a short conversation in which we agreed to meet after work. Suddenly, I couldn’t care less about Lucy’s choice of bed partners.

“Hot date tonight?” Lucy asked. This time my cheeks flushed dangerously red.

“Oh yeah.” She lifted up her glass and held it in the air.

“Here’s to us, Lee. And the fact that there might be something resembling love left for us in this world.” I was shocked that she would use the word love in reference to Joan, but instead of pointing it out, I focused on the hormones shuddering through my own blood.

“Cheers, Lucy. Now, about Annabelle−”

“Sorry, Lee. You can complain about her all you want, but she’s not going anywhere soon.”

“Oh, it’s like that, is it?” Lucy just nodded.

“Hey, maybe we can go on a double date some time.” She pulled her face into a mean sneer. Joan’s antics were rubbing off on her already. “Only joking, Lee. Where’s your sense of humour?”

To be continued…