Truth & Troubles

Alternative
Chapter 10

I walked back into the building that had housed me a few weeks back, I felt at home but at the same time extremely uncomfortable.

The fact that I might lose my leg in this hospital terrified me, there was nothing for me to do but wait and see. The doctor had called multiple times and explained to me that they wouldn't be 100% sure with what kind of surgery they would do until they opened my knee up.

On one hand, things could go smoothly with just removal of the tumor and then continue on with chemotherapy for a while. On the other hand they would have to amputate more than half of my leg, and even then I would most likely have to proceed with chemotherapy just in case.

I made my way up to my room with my bags of clothing and supplies, I couldn't wait to actually be able to wear some of my own clothes here.

Even though I was terrified, I was excited. I knew the surgery was only in two days, but up until then I need to live my life to the fullest.

I lifted my suitcase up onto a desk in the far corner of the room, I wanted to have it open so I could easily go in and get what I needed.

I looked down at my simple outfit. Full length black leggings and an oversized Louisiana State sweatshirt. I felt underneath the sleeve of the left cuff to make sure my 'R' bracelet was still there, and it still was!

I smiled lightly knowing that it had previously been Alan's and he wanted me to have it.

I wore a pair of flip flops so I didn't have to walk around barefoot, they seemed like a luxury item after having to walk around slimy, ashy, and cold floors.

I decided to go out and find Alan and let him know I was back.

I quickly went to the secretary of my floor and started a small talk conversation with her, I knew Alan was on the third floor but I didn't know which room.

"How can I help you, dear?" She asked, munching on her granola bar that she most likely had gotten in bulk at the vending machine down the hall.

"Well, my friend Alan said he would wait for me to come back to make sure I was okay. I know he's on the third floor somewhere but I just don't know which room," I told her, I felt confident with telling her this. Surely she must've seen me and him around here once.

"Last name?" She started to type into her computer.

"Rickman," I spoke, at this point I was hardly paying attention to her. I was texting my parents, trying to calm them down and allow me to stay alone in the hospital for a little while longer while I settled in.

Once the secretary chuckled, that's when I looked up.

"No seriously, what's the last name?" She asked, smiling at me graciously for making her laugh.

I crinkled my eyebrows, "Alan Rickman... He checked in here about three weeks ago because he broke his leg," when I began to explain myself I remember what Alan had told me.

"Don't worry about her, she's a huge fan. We can go in and out of here as we please."

Why wasn't this lady taking me seriously?

"Well, I'm sorry to break your heart dear but there has not been an Alan Rickman ever checked into this hotel. At this point I don't think he ever will," she shook her head, sitting back down on her chair.