-1 cake

"ALEX, YOU SEEN WHERE THE SCREWDRIVERS ARE?" Levi called out. The apartment he was standing in was bare; filled only with half open boxes and bubble wrap lying on the floor. In a pair of sweats and his university hoodie, Levi stands in the living room, digging through boxes.

Lithe fingers pilfer through photo-frames and candles, but he doesn't pull out what he requires. Sighing heavily, he straightens up, realising just how quiet it is.

"Alex?" He calls out, turning around slowly whilst trying to keep an ear out for her, "T-Lex?" The affectionate nickname receives no response. The name was coined after many months of teasing from Levi about Alex's short stature and petite form. Dumping a picture from their high school graduation back into the box, Levi makes his way to the kitchen.

It's empty, a glass and a spoon the only thing on the table, and just when he is about to call out, two hands place themselves over his eyes.

His hands fly up to grasp the small ones covering his sight and he relaxes at the familiarity.

"You ruined the surprise." Alex pouted, stretching onto her tiptoes to rest her head in the space between his shoulder blades.

"I'll keep my eyes closed." She laughs at his offer, but agrees.

She manoeuvres him around, hands still over his face and they stumble to the hallway where a stray scarf lies on the floor. Wrapping it around his eyes at least five times and making him guess how many fingers she had up were the only way to test his honesty. When he answered incorrectly three times (he said that she had nine up, but Alex argued that she only had eight fingers), she whispered 'wait here' before running off. Steadying himself in his new apartment, he listened to the faint falls of her feet as she moved away from him and the rustling sounds she made in the kitchen.

"Okay you can come in now!" She hollered and Levi set off towards the noise, only to bump into a wall and curse. A laugh rang out into the air, and Alex wrapped her fingers around his wrists. Guiding him through the apartment, she finally allowed him to pause, squeezing him before letting go.

"Open your eyes."

Slowly, he unwrapped the scarf from his eyes, blinking as he adjusted to the light.

Shifting on one foot, stood Alexis, wearing only a pair of Levi shorts, a bra and his own Levi jacket on her shoulders. Biting her lip, she stretched her arms out, before clasping them in front of her, fiddling with her fingers.

"Happy birthday Levi." His grin threatened to split his face in half. Leaping forward, he gathered her into his arms, pulling her flush against his body and lifting her up. She threw her head back and laughed as she was spun around. When he stopped, he pressed his face into the crook of her neck, whispering 'I love you' again and again. Setting her back on her feet, he wrapped his arms around her waist and looked down at her adoringly.

"I love you so much." He whispered, before pressing his lips to hers. Caught up in the moment, she slipped her arms around his neck, tugging him close and let her fingers slide into his hair. She pulled back a moment later, Levi resting his forehead against hers as they panted slightly.

"W-wait, there is more." Untangling their limbs, she pulled away, revealing a cake on the table. He blinked at the cake once, flickering his gaze to his girlfriend before a lopsided grin took over his face.

On the cake, was a messily iced 'Happy Birthday Levi", sprinkles dotted around the edges and two large candles with the number '22' on, sitting right in the middle. Grabbing a lighter, she quickly lit the candles before stepping back and allowing him to get close.