+1 | c a n d l e s

Levi knocked three times on the oak door in front of him. The summer heat was blistering and he felt his pale skin sweat under its intensity. Shoving his hands deep into his shorts, he kicked a pebble away with the toe of his pumps, before rocking back on his heels. The distant patter of feet and yelling filled his ears, then the jangle of keys in a lock, until finally, finally, the door was thrown open.

"Levi Enfield, it's good to have you back!" That was the only warning he had before Ivy Channing threw herself into the arms of the unprepared man. Stumbling slightly, Levi managed to wrap his arms around her small frame, juggling the shoddily wrapped gift in one hand.

"Babe, Georgie needs feeding." The woman pulled back, turning to her husband; who was cradling a two year old in his arm. The boy had his head resting on his father's shoulder, a plastic crown on his head of curly brown hair. A strong arm was under his small frame, holding the young boy in denim cut off shorts and a blue shirt. Dustin Channing's collar was firmly in his grip, but when he saw his Godfather, he immediately perked up, lifting his head to utter the word-

"Leafy." Levi grinned, taking the boy in his arms, as smoothly as possible with his awkward 6 foot 3 frame. With a child on his right hip, he handed the box to the boy, who grinned-showing a promising gap in his front teeth.

"Happy Birthday, Georgie." He whispered, kissing the boy's cheek before following his parents into their house. The boy squealed in delight, writhing in Levi's grip before focusing on the box he was gifted.

"For me?" He asked politely, a hesitant smile on his face as he looked up. Wide blue eyes stared up at Levi in adoration.

"I don't see any other birthday boys around here." Levi replied, a soft smile appearing on his face as Georgie smiled up at him, before opening the present.

The Channings were an unconventional bunch, Ivy being a yoga teacher whilst Dustin was a part-time electrician and part-time inventor. Leading the way through their mismatched house, they made it to their open garden. Promptly Georgie ran off once placed on his feet, in his hand was his new toy car courtesy of Levi.

"I'm so glad you made it, Levi." Ivy said as she handed out frozen treats to the kids in front of her. Levi smiled as he sipped his slightly warm beer, assuring her that it was no problem.

"Honestly, I don't know what I would have done without another guy here," Dustin shouted as he manned the barbecue, the sizzle of meat filling the air, "I mean, surrounded by all these Mums, I feel like I'm going to start exchanging breastfeeding techniques soon." The men both let out a hearty laugh, until Ivy smacked the back of Dustin's head.

"You better not be talking to any of the Mums about breastfeeding techniques." She scolded as she began wiping her hands. Rolling his eyes, he slipped his arms around her waist, his head resting on her shoulder. His hands plucked the ice-cream from her hands and set it onto the table, gaining his wife's undivided attention.

"There is only foxy mama that I would ever want to talk about breastfeeding techniques about." He pressed a kiss to her cheek and Levi found himself looking away from the couple's intimate moment. Levi shifted in the small collapsible chair he was seated in, his limbs spilling out as he attempted to get comfy. Levi was an awkward fellow, likening to an overgrown child with his youthful features, messy blonde hair and lanky limbs; but sitting in the Channings' backyard, surrounded by laughing children and loving children, he felt very alone. Just as his smile began to fade, he felt a small tug on his cerulean coloured shirt.

"Leafy, someone's at the door." Georgie said, and Levi sighed before standing, extending a hand down for the small boy to clutch. Easily, his hand slipped into Levi's larger one, clinging onto it as he tugged him forward. "Hurry Leafy, Mama said we can have the cake soon."