Chapter Two

-Chapter Two

I was continuing with my countdown of the hours, seconds, and minutes until I could get off this congested, germ-filled plane. I was becoming more and more claustrophobic by the minute. Thank goodness Wes had stopped trying to make me angry, and just kept to himself. He was currently reading a magazine, and listening to music with only one headphone in his ear.

"So are you going to tell me?" I asked, curious of what he was doing. I had forgotten to ask this earlier. I don't think he had ever been on a plane in his life, it was just that unusual.

"What do you want to know?" He asked, turning his head towards me, and closing the magazine he was only pretending to be interested in.

"Why Italy? Random vacation, or is there someone you are going to visit?" I asked. Maybe it was none of my business, but I couldn't help my curiosity.

He didn't seem to mind though. He answered without hesitation, "More of a visit then a vacation. You know my grandparent's retired there, right?"

I nodded, waiting for him to continue his explanation.

"Yeah, well just the other night my grandma had a stroke, and they don't think she is going to make it any longer then a week, so I'm just going to say goodbye is all."

I kept back the smirk from forming on my face. I couldn't help but think the old lady got what she deserved. Serves her right for calling me self-centered. I stopped myself mid-thought. It seems Wes and his family have slowly turned me in to a heartless bitch. Oh well, I was getting used to it. 

"What about your parent's? Don't they want to come too?" I continued, keeping up the conversation.

"Someone had to stay and run the farm. They couldn't afford to leave, they would miss deadlines. I'm the closest to my grandma so they figured I should be the one to tell her goodbye from all of us. It doesn't entirely make sense, but it's the best we can do."

"Oh..." I said, not sure of what else I should say. He didn't seem extremely saddened, or at any means hurt. 

"So what about you? A random vacation to Singapore or visiting someone?" He laughed, mocking my previous words.

I was surprised he didn't know already. News travels fast in my small hometown. Word should have spread to him that I was on my way to a high-end fashion show. At least now I could brag to him about it in person.

This was the chance I would really show him what he had lost. The moment I had been waiting for. It made me flashback to the time on his porch swing, just looking out at the sunset. I was a junior in high school. I told him I wanted to be a model. It was my dream.

I remember the exact conversation like it was yesterday. 

"You? A model?" His chuckle was soft, and barely audible beneath the rustling of tree's leaves in the wind.

"Why are you laughing?" I asked, my expression hurt. He couldn't see it though. Midnight had taken over. "You don't think I could do it, don't you?"

That was back when I used to love his southern accent, thinking it was the cutest thing I had ever heard, "As much as you'd like to think so, you're not the only pretty face out there, Lil. There's a lot of competition." I cringed at the thought of his old nickname for me. He was the only one that called me Lil. 

"We'll see about that, Wes. You know you're not right all the time."

"But I am most of the time," he breathed.

"Like I said, we'll just have to see about that, now won't we?"

"We sure will.  I'll just be the one saying I told you so."

"I hate you, you know that?" I laughed.

"Believe me, I know. You remind me almost every day of my life," He laughed again, bringing his lips to mine, silencing the conversation. He always had the same faint taste of peppermint on his slightly chapped lips.

We didn't pull apart until the porch light flicked on, and his mom swung open the door, asking us what we were still doing out here this late.

I'd laugh, thankful that we hadn't gotten caught, and skip back over to my house.

I shook away the memory. I had loved Wes, and I had hated him. It was like I wanted to push him off a giant cliff at times, but then run to the bottom just to catch him. I wasn't sure what I wanted, until I had gotten the call that I was invited to model in the Vogue Fashion show. I knew I didn't want someone who would doubt me or hold me back from my dreams. Wes had to go and I knew it. 

"I'm actually going to be in the Vogue Winter Fashion Show," I said coming back to the present, my voice confident with the news.

I wish I would have had a camera to take a picture of the shock on his face. It was something I never wanted erased from my mind. I knew I won this battle.

"You? A model?" He finally choked out, repeating the same words he did back when we were only kids in high school.

"Guess it's my turn to say I told you so."

A short breath of laughter came out of his mouth, "I'll believe it when I see it."

I grimaced, at his fatuous comment, "You can't be happy for me, can you? How about a congratulations, Lily? I'm proud of you, Lily? Something?"

"You haven't done anything yet," He replied simply, his expression turning hard and unreadable.

"You know you're right, things haven't changed. I may still be that spoiled-brat you think I am, but you will always be the same old jerk."

That would have been the moment, where I dramatically got up and stomped away. I sighed, as I was confined in this stupid airplane, where I was stuck in this horrible seating. It couldn't have possibly been worse then this. What were the odds I was stuck sitting next to this loser in an airplane full of seats. Karma really hated me. 

"At least you admitted I'm right."

"I hate you."

"I know you do. That's why we broke up, remember?"

Of course I remembered. We were in my bedroom that morning, fighting about who-knows-what. We had so many fights back then, I couldn't remember half of them. Mostly all were stupid and pointless, but if there was something to argue about, we sure did.

I threw my blowdryer at him, before he stomped out of my house. Ever since then, we just haven't spoken to each other. I wasn't even sure who broke up with who. It didn't really matter now.

 "I remember like it was yesterday. Best decision I've ever made in my life."

"I couldn't agree with you more," he replied, this time putting both headphones in his ears.

______________________________________________________________________

Comment what you think! :) xoxoxox

I proofread! Go me (: