Chapter 16 - Harbinger

Chapter Sixteen – Harbinger

1st Jan 5:30 AM

"We are leaving," Raphael informed the Kinetic, who sat cross legged in the middle of the room. Since the telepath had sorted through his mind things had become clearer, he was able to think without his own thoughts interrupting him.

"Good," Prometheus replied; the usual disturbed undertone still layering his words, though thinned, "I have mastered the technique."

"This is most pleasant news," Raphael responded, "It took Atlas much longer. Surely you are the more powerful."

Prometheus's head twitched oddly as he heard the name, he looked up at the Archon after a moment questioningly. "There was ever any doubt?"

"What do you feel?" The Archon asked, avoiding the question as the Kinetic stood up, "We are aware your state of mind may have been affected by the telepath."

"I feel nothing," Prometheus mused, following Raphael out of the room and into the hallway. He seemed only half talking to the Archon, as though he was trying to believe it himself.

"Nothing?"

Prometheus paused before answering, "Disgust for his weaknesses, and pride for having overcome them. My mould may have been flawed, but I am not."

"This is true" Raphael nodded as they stepped into the elevator, "You may succeed yet."

"Will he be there?"

"It is hoped."

"Good."

Raphael turned to the clone sternly, cutting off his thoughts, "You will not engage Atlas under any circumstances, excluding an attack on the Aegis Device or yourself. He is unimportant. The Archons are more than capable of handling him; the Reavers will keep the Argonauts preoccupied."

Upon hearing the Kinetic's name Prometheus closed his eyes tightly for a bit longer than a standard blink, trying to block out an itch in the back of his head. It had something to do with his brother, of that he was sure.

"Who are you to command me Archon?" he muttered in a dangerously low voice, completely calm. Somehow it was more intimidating than if he had shouted. "You are nothing, an insect. Do not presume yourself above me." Seeing the Archon's imminent outburst Prometheus spoke again, "The Archons' power is greatest when they are united; you are alone here Raphael. It would not be wise to test me. Am I understood?"

As the Kinetic wrapped his fingers around the Gladius handle that lay at his hip a bead of sweat rolled down the Archon's neck. Begrudgingly he spoke the word that would save his life. "Yes."

The elevator doors opened to reveal the hangar. The Providence waited silently below the exit, a single black jet that seemed small in comparison sat beside it. The Reavers stood patiently around their aircraft, awaiting the Archons' command. In words that Prometheus could not hear Sandalphon waved the soldiers away, six of them rushed hastily into their plane. The seventh, Absinthe, stood with the Archons, eyeing an unconscious unarmoured figure slumped on the ramp of the Providence.

"You will accompany the Reavers on their craft, the Samsara; Absinthe will remain with us in case the Argonaut shakes off the sedative. We will send the Reavers' captain the coordinates to the machine; you will arrive at the Aegis Device shortly before us. Secure the area and await our arrival. We will activate the machine."

"So few" the clone asked, "why not bring more soldiers?"

"Not many agree with our... methods; after we return they will be purged. When the site is secured these will be all that are required."