Chapter 1 - Early Days

Chapter One – Early Days

20th Dec 2:00 AM

The loudest sound I had ever heard sent me bolting up from my bed. It took me a few seconds to register what I was seeing; Liz holding an airhorn directly behind a bullhorn.

“Jesus fuc-” I was cut off by another blast from the horns.

“Now now, watch your language David,” Liz grinned, “I prefer a nice G-rated house if you don’t mind.”

“Bullsh-” she fired the horns again; I glared at her in irritation.

“It’s your own fault,” she said smugly, “I told you to get up at one this morning, you were late so I *ahem* helped you wake up.”  

I opened my mouth to give a retort; she instantly raised the horns ready to fire if anything she deemed offensive came out of my mouth. I raised my hands in silent surrender and she slowly lowered her weapons.

“Forgive my ignorant query, oh gracious overlord, but how are those meant to help? Couldn’t you have just shaken me awake?”

She appeared to ponder this for a moment, giving it serious thought. “But then I wouldn’t be able to use these,” she held up the horns, “Where’s the fun in that?”

“Of course,” I replied sarcastically, “It’s so obvious. Just remember, I know where you live. Your plane doesn’t leave for five hours anyway, why am I even awake?”

“You’re driving back, I want you nice and awake when you’re on the road.”

“Wouldn’t that be breaking a little thing called, oh I don’t know, the law? I can’t legally drive yet genius. Now what’s the real reason you woke me up?”

“I trust you not to mow down a string of little old ladies,” She nodded solemnly, holding her hand over her heart.

“Liz, answer the question. Real reason. It’s too early for shenanigans.”

“Shenanigans are my forte,” she grinned, holding up an Xbox controller “I’m against a team of Hungarians and I need a wingman that can actually play.”

“How many?” I asked, stroking an imaginary goatee.

“Five. They’re not amazing, but they’re just camping like little bitches. Be my wingman?”

“Well then we shouldn’t keep them waiting. That would be quite rude.” I said with a grin, “Give me five minutes; I’ll be out there as soon as I get dressed.”

Liz walked out of the room. “I’ll be waiting.”

In her mid-thirties, Liz was pretty cool. She wasn’t actually my biological mother, but since adopting me she had become the closest thing to a parent I’d ever known. Most of the time she came across as more of a big sister than a mother figure, but that was ok.

I threw on a faded metal tee as I walked out into the hallway, making my way past an impressive collection of nerdy memorabilia. Lord of the Rings, Star Wars and Doctor Who featured chiefly amongst the assortment of novelty items. The light switches had been replaced with large red buttons the size of your fist and the doors were all fashioned after the Tardis. As I entered the living room she called me over in her usual loving way.

“Over here numb-nuts, daylight’s burning.”

“I need to eat Elizabeth. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, after all.” She hated it when I called her by her full name.

“Breakfast is served,” she said, flipping me off while playing Xbox and pointing to the plate stacked with waffles on the table at the same time, an impressive skill by anyone’s standards.