Chapter 4 - A Third Element

Chapter Four — A Third Element

20th Dec 10:05 AM

I discarded the useless gun. "So how did you know Liz?" I asked.

"She helped me out a while ago, since then we've been close" he replied as he opened the package. From the paper he pulled a plastic black box, when he opened the box there was a DVD.

We walked over to his TV; he opened the DVD player and put the disc inside. An image of Liz appeared on the screen, sitting in a chair and looking at the camera that was recording what we were seeing now. I almost choked.

"Hello boys" the digital Liz said, "by the time you see this I will be in Australia. I couldn't think of a better time to tell you David so here goes. Scott and I are dating; we have been for a while. I know how you react to the guys I've dated so I decided that I would tell you when I was out of the country. Please be nice to him kid, that includes not trying to kill him. Scott, I think you'll be able to hold your own against David but I'm not sure. So please try to get along both of you."

Liz paused before continuing, "Could you leave the room for a minute Scott? I have a message for David."

Without a word Scott got up and walked into the adjoining room.

"Now David" Liz continued, "I know you probably don't like this guy but I do, please just give him a chance. You might be surprised. I promise I'll call you when I get to my parent's house, until then I want you to get to know Scott for a while. Have fun kid, I love you."

I smiled sadly, "love you too" I whispered to the screen, holding back tears.

"Now if you'll excuse me I have to wrap this and wake you up." She said while pulling an air horn and a bullhorn from the table. "Cya kid." With that she reached over and pressed a button on the camera before the screen cut to static.

I breathed heavily, still watching the screen. Eventually I managed to pull myself away and stand up. I had to leave; there was still work for me to do. I started moving towards the door when Scott appeared and blocked my path.

"You should stay here David" he said forcefully, "The way I see it you have some explaining to do."

This was too much, had he forgotten what I could do that quickly?

"Explaining?" I snarled, lifting him into the air with my ability. "You want an explanation? Fine!" if he really wanted to know I'd tell him. "Today I found out I can do all sorts of weird shit and that some sort of government people want to kill me, on top of that I watched Liz die and I might not even be human!" I tightened my grip as I continued. "Is that explanation enough for you?"

Scott didn't say anything, he couldn't; my grip held him tightly in the air that he couldn't move. I pulled my clawed hand to the side, sending him slamming into a wall before falling to the ground. When I released him he scampered into the corner and sat there in a ball, after a few moments he brought himself to utter just three words.

"Liz is dead?"

"Yes" I answered without turning around. He whimpered.

I reached out for the door when I noticed something was wrong. Shadows cast in the hallway crept under the door, there were many. I could hear footsteps that were trying to be quiet coming from the other side, there were lots of them.

Scott had wanted me to stay; trying to keeping me here, stalling me. Oh shit... I turned back to him, he was gone. He must have called the cops when I was watching Liz's DVD. I backpedalled quickly and quietly, rounding the corner just before all hell broke loose.