Chapter 18

A/N I know it's short! Don't kill me!

_______________________________________

Bridget:

I sigh as I see that the trains are starting to depart. I wrap my arms around Preston's neck as a traitor tear escapes my eye. I bury my face in his neck and inhale the smell of him so that I can remember it. I won't be with him for another 6 months anyway.

Preston pulls away and wipes the tear from my cheek and whispers to me. "It's only for a little while."

"A little while is a long time." I whisper back with a pouty face.

"I'll call and write letters." He promises with a gorgeous smile.

"Okay. It just seems like these two weeks went by so fast." I sigh again.

"Bridget! Hurry up." Effie demands from behind me so I look at Preston.

I pull Preston down to my level and kiss him. We may be young but love is not something that can be determined the strength of by your age. I pull away and kiss Preston's cheek one last time.

"I love you." I whisper in his ear.

I turn and walk away but just before I make it into the train I hear my boyfriend shout to me. "I love you more!"

"Not possible." I shout over my shoulder as the doors close behind me and a triumphant smile plays on my lips. That boy will be the death of me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The train rolls into the station in Twelve and I see that Willow stands, waiting for me. I let my dad and the peacekeepers take the bags as I run over to my best friend. Willow grins at me and we embrace in a tight hug.

"I missed you so much!" I grin at my friend.

"I know! I missed you too!" Willow shows a toothy smile.

"I've got an idea. How about we go to your place and say hi to your mom then we have a movie night at my place?" I ask her.

"Great! Let's go." She grins as she pulls me in the direction of the seam.

We quickly pop in and say hello to Mr and Mrs Cob before Willow grabs some things and we head out the door. Willow and I stop by a shop in the square and I get some sweets. We then stop by the Hob and get some of Greasy Sae's stew and I get a bottle of alcohol for Haymitch.

I know I shouldn't but I kinda gave up on him being sober though he is doing well. He's not sober but he's not the complete drunk he was before. The way I look at it is that at least he's trying and improving.

When Willow and I finally make it back to my house in the Victor's village we have a cup of stew for Haymitch in one hand and a bottle in the other. I get in and put the bottle on the counter and take the stew and a spoon up to my dad's room. The shower is going so I place the stew beside his bed and go into a closet in the hall and grab several blankets. Willow and I make a palette in the living room and I give her a pair of pajamas that we both change into. We both get comfortable and I start the movie marathon.

We laugh throughout the comedy before we start up a tragic romance. As we watch I tell Willow about my time in the Capitol. In turn she tells me about the goings on in District 12. She tells me about how she has become better friends with the mayor's daughter. She seems like a nice girl so I guess we all will be hanging out later.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It's not much further." I inform Madge who is tagging along with Willow and I to the woods.

After a couple more feet we reach the lake. Willow and I made a fishing rod for Madge this morning so we give it to her and grab ours. We all sit around the lake and wait.

"So what's new with you?" I direct the question to Madge.

"This for certain." She giggles lightly. "Not much else though. What about you? What's new in the Capitol?"

"Well the new Victor seems to get along well with me and my group of friends in the Capitol. She's really sweet and kinda reminds me of you Willow." I tell them.

"There is only one me." She says sassily and Madge and I giggle.

"Oh we know." Madge giggles.

"Anyway. Have you guys got your eye on a boy?" I wink at my two friends.

"Nope." Willow smiles and I can tell she's telling the truth.

"Um." Madge hesitates and blushes.

"Tell us!" Willow bursts.

"He's two years older than me, so a year older than you, and he lives in the seam. You might know him, his name is Gale." Madge tells us as she blushes even more.

"Ooh." Willow and I sing in unison before Madge slaps us both on the arm and we laugh again.

We sit and chat for a couple of hours and we have about ten fish in a net that's sat in the water. We secure the net down so that the fish can't escape as we hunt. Willow and I lead Madge through the woods to our favorite hunting spots.

We all climb up different trees and we wait. Madge observes and points out a squirrel that's not to far from us so Willow shoots an arrow, catching it by the neck. I take it and skin it quickly before placing it in a plastic bag then into mine and Willow's game bag. This goes on for another four hours with Madge attempting to skin a few rabbits and squirrels but she found it easier on the stomach to just shoot them.

The girls and I figure we have enough after we have collected the herbs. We collected more herbs this time so Madge could have some. I'd say that today was an excellent haul; 10 fish, 3 rabbits, 6 squirrels, and 3 jars worth each of cooking herbs and a jar each of 2 different kinds of medicinal herbs.

We carry our haul discreetly back to the fence. We all slide under without being noticed and take our stuff to the Hob. We sell the medicinal herbs to the Apothecary and we take some of the meat to Greasy Sae and Willow keeps some. With our money we buy some stuff at the Hob and the shops before deciding that it's been a long day. We all head back our homes and get to bed.