Chapter 18

It was three in the morning and Harley came downstairs to find someone opening the refrigerator door. She rubbed her sleepy eyes and squinted, saying, "Puddin, you're back already?"

"Hey, Mom," said Jack as he raised his head from behind the door.

Harley lightly gasped and chuckled. "Oh, honey, I'm sorry. I don't have my contacts in."

Jack grinned. "S'alright."

"I swear," she continued. "You're looking more like your dad everyday."

He chuckled. He didn't think he looked like The Joker, but he still couldn't help but take those kinds of remarks as compliments on his part.

At fourteen-years-old, Jack's chin and nose resembled his father's and they shared the same trim build as well as lanky posture. Their hair was the same slightly curled texture, but Jack's was longer now and he took to pulling it back into a ponytail.

(A/N: Imagine Harry Style's hair.)

"Why are you up, honey?" Harley asked, a hint of concern in her voice.

"I couldn't sleep," he told her as he poured a small glass of orange juice. "I came down here to watch TV."

Harley followed her son to the sofa. "You stay up too late reading those scary stories..." she told him.

He smiled, looking at her. "You forget that I inherited those Clive Barker books from you, Mom."

She crinkled her nose and shook her head. "Those are your dad's, mister. I can't stomach Barker. I prefer King."

"King sucks," Jack muttered, lazily flipping through channels.

She sat on the sofa and hugged her shoulders, glancing at the front door. "Do you know if your father was going anywhere after the heist tonight?"

Jack took a sip of his drink and shook his head. "I don't think he was going anywhere else," he answered. "Don't worry, Mom. You know Dad. He'll be back in no time."

Harley smirked at him. "Well...I know, but...I can't help but be a little concerned." She tried to keep her interest in the television program, but sighed. "I guess I'll go back to bed. You gonna be okay, Jacky?"

He nodded. "Mm-hmm..."

A few moments later, the front door opened and Jack saw his father come in with Angus, Townshend and two of his newer men, whom Harley had dubbed Clapton and Harrison.

The Joker approached his son and patted his shoulder. "Hey, kiddo. What're you doin' up?"

"Couldn't sleep," Jack told him.

Townshend playfully punched Jack on the arm. "Those girlies keepin' ya up, stud?"

Jack laughed out loud. "Whatever, Towser. Like any girl would be interested in me."

Angus plopped down in the seat next to Jack and said, "Ah, kid. Don't be so sure. You just need the right girl is all." Angus took a sip of the beer Clapton had given him.

The Joker stopped at the bottom step and asked, "Your mother's awake, isn't she?"

"She always is at three in the morning, Dad..." Jack answered.

The Joker sighed. "I thought so. I forgot to call her on the way home."

Towshend chuckled. "You're gonna get it now, huh Boss?"

The Joker laughed. "Oh. I'll 'get' it, all right," he joked and waggled his tongue.

His men laughed as Jack said, "Dad! Eew!"