Chapter 8

He arrived to the sound of screaming in the bedroom and he stripped himself of his coat and rushed up the stairs. "Harley!" he called out as he threw open the bedroom door.

"Puddin!" came her voice, and he found her now reclining in the bathtub with Ivy by her side and her feet propped onto both sides.

The Joker was speechless. He knew this day was coming, but the sudden reality of the present made him realize that he wasn't ready to take all this in just yet. "I...what can I do?"

Ivy sneered. "You can go to hell, is what you can do..."

The Joker returned her look. "I'm sorry, Plant. You have something to say?"

"I have plenty of things to say!"

"Guys, please!" Harley screamed. "Can you just forget for a few hours that you hate each others' guts? I'm in immense pain here!"

"Harley," The Joker said, taking her hand. "Come on, you need to get in the bed."

"It's a mess, Pud," she panted. "My water broke there...I'm sorry, baby..."

"Don't worry about that," he said, calmly. "You don't need to be-"

"No! It hurts to move!" Harley sobbed and gripped his hand.

He growled quietly as he looked around. Finally, he shot up and threw open the linen cabinet and grabbed an armful of towels. "Harley, I'm gonna turn on the water..."

She took a deep breath and looked at him. "Huh?"

"It'll help the pain and be easier for the baby..." he quickly explained and turned on the faucet to let the warm water fill the tub.

Harley smiled wide at him. "Oh, Puddin'...you read my baby book?"

The Joker looked back at her and then cut a quick glance at the smug look on Ivy's face. He cleared his throat. "I skimmed a little bit..."

"Oh...baby..." Harley swooned lovingly, but was suddenly interrupted by another contraction.

An hour later, after he replenished the tub with more warm water, The Joker paced the bathroom as Ivy held Harley's hand. "Where the hell is the doctor?" he growled.

"He said...he'd be here soon, Puddin'..." Harley managed to gasp. "Oh, God...this hurts..." Her voice was becoming frail from her screaming and her tone was weak.

The Joker came to her and Harley looked up at him pitifully. "I can't do this..." she said meekly.

"Yes, you can..."

She shook her head as he chuckled. "Harl, you can kick asses of guys three times your size...and you're scared of a little baby?"

Minutes later, Dr. Stein entered the bathroom, his bags at his side. "Ok, I'm here, dahling. Where's the fire?" he said.

"I'm giving birth to it!" she yelled in both frustration and instant relief.

Dr. Stein laughed. "I never get tired of this job," he joked as he set his bags on the bathroom counter. He took a long glance at Harley's situation and he sighed. "So, a water birth, eh? This'll be a first for me, too, my dear."

He opened his medical bag and extracted his stethoscope. He placed it around his neck and then put on his gloves. "When did your contractions start?"

Harley thought a moment. "About three hours ago...they're getting closer, too, Doc..."

"Vonderful!" he exclaimed as he knelt beside the tub. "That means it's gonna happen real soon..."

"Oh, God," Harley moaned. "I can't do this..."