part 3

The Gothic building poised with its stained glass windows. The cold sun appeared half hidden behind the hills across the fields. The hint of sunlight reflected colourful rays from the stained windows on the ground. Within, an hour of our arrival at the John’s campus I had finished my interview. At my interview, I did not talk much so an hour was enough. My interviewers were very much surprised when they looked at my stunning grades. I knew they would judge me by my appearance or by my abnormal behaviour. The University of Blenheim was not the best place you could imagine; it lacked nearly everything. 

Alice bounced to my side whilst I was leaning against her silver Volvo. I slowly pulled myself out of the hazy thoughts of my mind. Alice clutched the letter that indicated her acceptance. At that moment I felt a sudden relief. Things made sense at last I didn’t get a letter. I didn’t pass. I hadn’t thought about my next step in the future but I am sure Alice will pull me with her.  

“We will discuss this, jump in” she chanted. I focused on the way she spoke just to be sure she wasn’t upset. I noticed no changes in her mood. She jumped in behind the steering wheel happily and I hesitated before I dropped my weight on the seat. Where did she sit? Zooming under tunnels, over bridges and through wobbly countryside roads Alice hummed a tune. Every two minutes or three Alice would peek at the rear-view mirror to check if someone is following us. I had no idea why she is being cryptic that day. I could see that she was heading for Wether Fell; her peaceful spot for discussing important matters. I sighed; at least I know where I was going. As soon as the engine stopped in the rocky car park, Alice stepped out. She waited for me but soon she gave up and opened the door on my side.

She led me to the third path that had a dusty sign. This sign had been here for decades informing visitors of Plover Hill. Alice was just inches away from the rusty sign, me just staring over her shoulders when she stuck out her index finger. Her slim finger glided slowly to the dusty part of the metal board. She froze full of thoughts while her finger seemed to add more pressure enough to bend the sign. Things cleared up in her mind because she pulled her self away. Flicking the dust on the tip of her finger, I shuddered with disgust. I thought she would have giggled at that but not even one expression crossed her face. She looked paler then ever. I bent forward balancing on the balls of my foot to exam her face. I regret doing that now. Her round eyes were blank. After that I tried my best not to look or wonder what eat up in her.

We walked through the crunch of brown leaves until we got to the almost leafless, lifeless sycamore tree. She ordered me to sit down on a carpet of blue bells. Every second or two a single leaf would drop to the ground. After she had sat gracefully, “The weather is lovely, today,” Alice commented hesitatingly as she snapped a blue bell and placed it between her palms. I noticed that she wasn’t looking at me; she was looking through the fields. Properly at nothing. She didn’t look at me the way she would have when she took things. I waited for her to look at me but time seemed to pass quickly. I grew impatient and soon felt uneasy. I glanced sideways quickly to check on her. Alice’s face was normally easy to read but hers was as blank as a plain paper.

“You know it’s not,” I moaned, trying to ignore the squeakiness in my voice. I knew she was doing this to please me. My body itched as it rubbed against these bright blue plants. I watched the blue bell’s melancholy petals and found that we are connected in some way. A tear escaped my eye and then came another. Alice folded my hand in hers after she had laid the lifeless blue bell on the grass gently. “Bella, why do you have to be like this?” she asked desperately. Her eyes sparkled too.

“Why are we here? Alice,” I demanded, wanting this to be done with so quickly. I have never felt furious like this before. My cheeks burning after I had realised how harshly I had spat the words out. Alice turned to face the rocky hills; she did not show any sign of surprise. That scared me.

“Bella, you don’t understand that the only way to succeed is to be positive. Now what are you going to do?” Alice sighed. My eyelids flickered once. Without any second thoughts I unlaced my fingers and pulled my hands away from hers. She did not reaction in fact she looked stunted. I thought with any luck I can move away now.  I walked away, away and away. When I broke into a run I felt happiness rush through my blood like sweetness; I enjoyed this new feeling of liberty.

 I left Alice and the blue bells behind. I wasn’t precisely sure where I was heading but further ahead of me things teamed with life